[comp.dcom.telecom] High-Seas Communications

thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu (Thomas Lapp) (12/12/89)

In several of the messages in the last week or so, it has been
mentioned that the Pittsburgh International Operator was used for
making high-seas calls.

Whilst tuning across the bands on my short-wave receiver, I once came
upon a transmission which seemed to be a high-seas conversation.  Can
anyone tell me more about how ship-to-shore (is this the same as
high-seas?) telephony works?  From the conversation I heard, it
sounded as though I was hearing only one of the parties, and an
operator? radio- person? who would tell someone, "O.k. your party is
on the other end", or "Your party is still there -- you may talk" (the
connection apparently was a poor one, since there was a lot of
repetition of sentences).

I guess I can assume that high-seas conversations are via radio
("What's that long wire we're dragging captain?" "Oh, that's our
telephone line!  Goes all the way back to shore... ;-), but can you
supply any more details?

Thanks,
                         - tom
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Europe Bitnet: THOMAS1@GRATHUN1
Location: Newark, DE, USA
Quote   : Virtual Address eXtension.  Is that like a 9-digit zip code?

kent@uunet.uu.net (Kent Hauser) (12/20/89)

In article <2084@accuvax.nwu.edu>, thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu (Thomas Lapp)
writes:

> In several of the messages in the last week or so, it has been
> mentioned that the Pittsburgh International Operator was used for
> making high-seas calls.

There is also satellite communications to ships at sea.

Three country codes exist for ships: 871 = Atlantic, 872 = Pacific, &
873 = Indian ocean.  Calls are placed just like a normal int'l call:
e.g. (in the US) 011 871 1234567 #

All ship numbers are seven digits (octal representation of a 21-bit ID
number). When a ship moves from one ocean to another, it's number
doesn't change, only it's `country code'.

In the US, the ground stations for INMARSAT (as the system is known),
are located just outside of Danbury, Conn. & Ventura, Calf. Other
countries also have ground stations.  The American stations are
directly connected to the ISCs for AT&T, Teleglobe, & MCI. (Who says
there is only one country code in North America?)

Further technical info can be obtained out of the CCITT docs. I
believe that Q.170 is gen'l info.  Also one of the previous versions
of the CCITT docs (I think it was the yellow books) had a supplement
to the No. 5 signalling spec (Fascicle VI.2) showing some additional
info.

On an non-technical note -- a real problem for the system is that when
someone calls the operator (AT&T Employee) & asks for a ship, they are
normally connected with the high-seas operator (AT&T Run), not the
INMARSAT system (non-AT&T).

Kent Hauser			UUCP: {uunet, sun!sundc}!tfd!kent
Twenty-First Designs		INET: kent@tfd.uu.net