[comp.dcom.telecom] Anyone Know of "Reserved" Suffix 0020

STEVEF%WALKER_RICHER_QUINN@mcimail.com (Steve 'No Squash' Forrette) (12/20/89)

I noticed a couple of years ago in PacBell land in Northern CA that
the 0020 suffix in just about any prefix always went to a loud,
continuous tone, which has about a 1/2 sec gap every 15 secs or so.
This also seems to be the case in Washington State.  Anyone know what
this is used for?

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (12/21/89)

Steve 'No Squash' Forrette <STEVEF%WALKER_RICHER_QUINN@mcimail.com> writes:

> I noticed a couple of years ago in PacBell land in Northern CA that
> the 0020 suffix in just about any prefix always went to a loud,
> continuous tone, which has about a 1/2 sec gap every 15 secs or so.
> This also seems to be the case in Washington State.  Anyone know what
> this is used for?

This tone is known in the biz as the "miliwatt". It is a 1004 hz tone
that originates with a power of .001 watt in the CO. It is a standard
so that by dialing that number, a field tech can readily measure the
loss on that particular circuit.

There was a number that a phone man used once on some PBX trunks that
I had installed that produced the strangest sounds I had ever heard.
They interacted with a big expensive-looking piece of hardware that he
had. For the life of me, I can't remember that number. The test was
supposed to be a very comprehensive analysis of the trunk.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !