[comp.dcom.telecom] How Can 411 Be Flagrantly Abused?

Miguel_Cruz@um.cc.umich.edu (12/07/89)

Mark Cohen in Digest 9.555 mentioned a commercial suggesting viewers
"dial 411" in order to contact the advertiser.

Mr. Cohen suggested that this was a flagrant abuse of DA and said he
called his telco to inform them of this travesty.

But I really don't understand what is wrong with this...

 A) it allows people from anywhere in the viewing area to find
    the number for the outlet/branch closest to them

 B) the phone company will charge the customer for the DA call.
    Customers know this; if they don't want to pay, they can
    use the phone book.

It seems remarkably straightforward.  Many advertisers do it, and I've
never heard of one getting in trouble, most likely because there isn't
a conceivable thing wrong with it.  Or is there?

Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.edu

c152-ft@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (12/08/89)

In article <1940@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Mark Cohen in Digest 9.555 mentioned a commercial suggesting viewers
>"dial 411" in order to contact the advertiser.

>It seems remarkably straightforward.  Many advertisers do it, and I've
>never heard of one getting in trouble, most likely because there isn't
>a conceivable thing wrong with it.  Or is there?

>Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.edu

I've spent most of this year in Washington state (Seattle), and much
to my surprise, there's no such thing as 411 in this state!  When I
first arrived, I tried it from a payphone (what did I know).  It
didn't work, so I called the operator.  She said "Why would you dial
411?  Directory assistance is at 1-555-1212" She acted as if she had
never heard of 411, and it definately doesn't work from any phone I've
tried.  Also, no 611 (you have to go through the operator to get
repair service).  (Reportedly, 611 will "read" you the number of the
calling phone if you're in a GTE service area).

Roy Smith <roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu> (12/10/89)

> [dialing 411 from a payphone] didn't work, so I called the operator.  She
> said "Why would you dial 411?  Directory assistance is at 1-555-1212"

	In New York City they used to have an interesting hack (I
think this was before the 212/718 split).  If you dialed 411, you got
DA for the borough you were in.  If you wanted DA for one of the other
4 boroughs, you dialed 555-1212 without an area code.  I'm not sure if
this still works.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 10-Dec-1989 0957) (12/10/89)

>Mark Cohen in Digest 9.555 mentioned a commercial suggesting viewers
>"dial 411" in order to contact the advertiser.

>Mr. Cohen suggested that this was a flagrant abuse of DA and said he
>called his telco to inform them of this travesty.

>But I really don't understand what is wrong with this...

> A) it allows people from anywhere in the viewing area to find
>    the number for the outlet/branch closest to them

Valid observation: I'm sure this is why the advertiser (a chain) was
doing this.

> B) the phone company will charge the customer for the DA call.
>    Customers know this; if they don't want to pay, they can
>    use the phone book.

Invalid observation: In-State Directory Assistance in Massachusetts is
free to residential customers.  (Can't expect you to have known this.)

This may be partly due to the cost of distributing directories of
everyone's local calling area.  Although Acton's local calling area
only includes the four exchanges Acton/Boxborough, Concord/Carlisle,
Maynard/Stow, and Littleton, not all of these towns are in the local
phone book (Littleton is in another book).  Each of these other towns
has at least one local exchange that is in some other adjacent phone
book.  It would not be possible to re-align the books to solve the
problem, since _each_ town has a different set of surrounding towns.
(I suppose it would be possible to list towns in more than one book,
but that, too would increase the cost of the books.)

Apparently N.E.T. has determined that the cost of distributing an
additional phone book for all the adjacent areas to each customer (a
requirement before the DPU could get away with permitting a D.A.
charge) is higher than the cost of D.A.  (At least all N.E.T. phone
books can be had for free for the asking.)

But I'm sure that residents of Massachusetts don't feel that Mr. Cohen
was some sort of hero for reporting the abuse.  Rather than helping to
preserve our free access to D.A., Mr. Cohen's report is more likely to
be used by N.E.T. as ammunition in their attempts to get approval for
a D.A. charge without the requirement that nearby phone books be
delivered without a special request.

I'll try and see if a residential D.A. charge is part of N.E.T.'s $16
million rate reduction filing now pending before the D.P.U.  (DPU
89-300, Public Hearing at the State House, Thursday, 4-Jan-90, 7:30pm.)

/john

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (12/13/89)

In article <1966@accuvax.nwu.edu> somebody writes:
| I've spent most of this year in Washington state (Seattle), and much
| to my surprise, there's no such thing as 411 in this state!  When I
| first arrived, I tried it from a payphone (what did I know).  It
| didn't work, so I called the operator.  She said "Why would you dial
| 411?  Directory assistance is at 1-555-1212" She acted as if she had
| never heard of 411, and it definately doesn't work from any phone I've
| tried.  Also, no 611 (you have to go through the operator to get
| repair service).  (Reportedly, 611 will "read" you the number of the
| calling phone if you're in a GTE service area).

I've lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life, and had never *heard*
of 411 as the number for info until I began taking business trips to
the Bay Area two years ago.  And then, I had exactly the *opposite*
shock.

I was looking up a number, and couldn't find it, so I dialed "113"...
the info number for PNW Bell (now US West Telecom).  When it didn't
work, I asked a local, and they said "411", and gave me this blank
stare when I said I had tried "113", as if knowing "411" gives you
information was like knowing that "0" gives you operator!

I had never understood the line in Patty Labelle's song "Who's Zoomin'
Who?" that "getting the four-one-one on someone" meant getting
information.  Suddenly, it all dawned on me.

So, is the Pacific Northwest the *only* place in the country that
*doesn't* use 411?  (And we still don't!)

Thanks for the tip about 611 giving calling-number-ID.  Wow!  What
fun!  It works!  You mean you use that for "service"?  Geez.  We just
call the operator. :-)

Just another provincial local,

/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |
| merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn	         |
\== Cute Quote: "Welcome to Oregon... Home of the California Raisins!" ==/

[Moderator's Note: Hah! *He* thinks 611 gives calling-number-ID! Here
in Chicago we know it reaches the Illinois Bell Repair Service. And
for many years, 211 reached the Long Distance Operator for 90 percent
of the subscribers, while 811 reached Long Distance for the other 10
percent or so. And what we used to call Enterprise numbers *he*
probably called Zenith numbers.  Just a local yokel myself! :) PT]

hakanson@cse.ogi.edu (Marion Hakanson) (12/14/89)

In article <2121@accuvax.nwu.edu> Randal Schwartz writes:

>I've lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life, and had never *heard*
>of 411 as the number for info until I began taking business trips to
>the Bay Area two years ago.  And then, I had exactly the *opposite*
>shock.

>So, is the Pacific Northwest the *only* place in the country that
>*doesn't* use 411?  (And we still don't!)

I've also lived in the NW (in Southern Oregon 'til recently) all of my
life, but I remember when 411 did work.  And when it stopped working.
We lived in the 503-459 prefix area (or whatever you call it), and one
used to be able to dial "9" for the prefix if you were calling inside
the local area.  My memory is hazy, as this was when I was "just a
kid," but I think you could dial neighboring prefixes using just the
last digit, as well.

Anyway, my best guess is that both of these things stopped working
sometime in the late 1960's.  I remember getting a recording that
reminded you to dial "459" when you'd just dialed "9", along with my
parents receiving mailed announcements warning of the cutover.  No
doubt an expert could tell us which old piece of switching equipment
was replaced with which new one.

Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson@cse.ogi.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!ogicse!hakanson

GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (Scott D. Green) (12/14/89)

Here in 215 (Bello PA) one dials 1-555-1212 for *any* number in 215.  Isn't
that a little ridiculous?

That's what I love about standards, there are so many of them.

shz@packard.att.com (Seth Zirin) (12/15/89)

In article <2121@accuvax.nwu.edu> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz)
writes:

>So, is the Pacific Northwest the *only* place in the country that
>*doesn't* use 411?  (And we still don't!)

Nope.  My local loop connects me to a "Back Woods" telephone company
named "United Telephone of NJ" and they also use 555-1212 for DA.
They *just* upgraded to a "modern" switch from what surely must have
been an old crossbar.  I no longer hear 90 bazillion clicks before a
dial tone and my answering machine no longer records 60 seconds of
busy signal before IT drops incoming calls.  Calling home from
civilized areas of the global network no longer result in three and
sometimes four fast pulsed switching (routing?) sequences.

Now if only they could clear up the static I hear on my underground
line when the wind blows...

I recently made a local credit card call from one of United's
payphones and heard only "Thank you".  No "for using AT&T" or "for
using New Jersey Bell".  I'll probably have a coronary when the bill
comes...

jsol@bu-it.bu.edu (12/16/89)

In Connecticut, you dial 1-411.

jsol

[Moderator's Note: Jon Solomon (jsol) was the founder of TELECOM
Digest and the moderator for several years.     PT]

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (12/18/89)

Regarding Andrew Schwartz's comments about never hearing of 411 used
for DA in the northwest, they used to use it, along with 611 for
repair.  That was back when DA (information) was free.  Then sometime
in the 1970s Pacific NW Bell filed for new tarrifs, saying that they
had to employ too many operators and that their studies had shown that
most folks were dialing 411 rather than look it up.

So part of the change was, if they were going to charge for the
service, they made it so you were at least aware of change by making
it 1+ and just like dialing DA for parties outside the NPA, 555-1212.

Recently I tried dialing 411 from within the 881 NNX in Redmond, WA.
It is served by GTE, and you do get an ID of the line you are calling
from by a mechanized voice.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP
MCI Mail: 328-8544

edm@nwnexus.wa.com (Ed Morin) (12/20/89)

Here in Woodinville Washington (a GTE suburb of Seattle), 411 works
great.  I think we have one of the newer phone switches though because
when call waiting beeps in my ear the calling party can't here the
obvious click that one gets on other (presumably) older switches.

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.
"Unix Public Access for the Masses!"
edm@nwnexus.WA.COM

dattier@chinet.chi.il.us (David Tamkin) (12/21/89)

Ed Morin wrote in TELECOM Digest, Volume 9, Issue 583:

| Here in Woodinville, Washington (a GTE suburb of Seattle), 411 works
| great.

411 works great to do what in Woodinville?  To make your own telephone
ring back, to tell you the number from which you are dialing, or (as
411 does in most of the rest of the USA) to reach Directory Assistance?

David Tamkin  PO Box 813  Rosemont IL 60018-0813 (708)518-6769 (312)693-0591
dattier@chinet.chi.il.us    BIX: dattier  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> (12/22/89)

In article <2239@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

| Regarding Andrew Schwartz's comments about never hearing of 411 used
            ^^^^^^ That's *Randal*, please.  Read comp.unix.questions! :-)
| for DA in the northwest, they used to use it, along with 611 for
| repair.  That was back when DA (information) was free.

Nope, nope, nope.  Maybe in *your* neck of the woods, but it's always
been "113" for local directory assistance (state-wide was 1-555-1212)
and "0" for repair (or some seven-digit number).  This is in Portland,
Oregon.

|							  Then sometime
| in the 1970s Pacific NW Bell filed for new tarrifs, saying that they
| had to employ too many operators and that their studies had shown that
| most folks were dialing 411 rather than look it up.

Yeah, this is about the time they switched.

Just another old-timer 'round these here parts,