[comp.dcom.telecom] GTE vs. Pac*Bell

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (12/08/89)

In article <1896@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>Yes, but what do you pay monthly for a phone? I'll bet it's higher
>than my rate. Of course, I probably actually pay more because I have
>Commstar (home Centrex) which you can't get on unmeasured lines. Neah!

I pay $23.50/month for two lines, one tone service with 1+ provided by
ATT, and one which is supposed to be pulse-only, with 1+ dialing
disabled. The two lines busy-forward to each other. This includes
unlimited local calling (but not 6% sales tax).

I have considered replacing the second line with a 3002 leased circuit
to my place of work (my wife works there too); GTE offered at no extra
cost to make the line end-to-end metallic. The distance is 3.2 miles
(served by same CO) and I think I could run 56kbps on that circuit.
The main reason I'm not doing it, is that I'd have to pay for a
terminal server port card on the receiving end (system manager says
"all ports are taken"). The cost of such a leased line would be about
$150 to install and $23.50/month.

I find these rates very reasonable. Especially when I read in TELECOM
Digest about people that pay over $35/month for a single residential
line.

And I have no desire to get CommStar. I'd MUCH rather install a KX-308.
I have:

 - one phone in the kitchen
 - one cordless in the master bedroom
 - one more in the master bedroom because my wife hates the sound
   quality on the cordless (Radio Shack alarm clock radio phone combo).
 - one phone in my study connected to the main number
 - one phone in the study connected to the modem line
 - two modems (one on each line)
 - an answering machine serving both lines

With a Centrex service I'd have to have at least 6 lines to get what I
want. That's 4 more than I have now. Even where GTE offers measured
service, this would be at least $40/month. That would buy me a PBX in
a year.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (12/09/89)

In article <1938@accuvax.nwu.edu> Lars J Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com> writes:

> I pay $23.50/month for two lines, one tone service with 1+ provided by
> ATT, and one which is supposed to be pulse-only, with 1+ dialing
> disabled. The two lines busy-forward to each other. This includes
> unlimited local calling (but not 6% sales tax).

> I find these rates very reasonable. Especially when I read in TELECOM
> Digest about people that pay over $35/month for a single residential
> line.

Another data point: in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, I pay $8.75 a month
for pulse-only POTS, and rent (I'm a student; I'm not going to be here
long enough for it to be worthwhile to buy a half-decent phone) a
basic indestructible telephone (it says QSQM500AX on the bottom, along
with 07-89B and "Property of Bell Canada") for $1.75.  Plus 8% sales
tax.

These are, of course, Candian dollars, which everyone got excited
about nearing $0.87 US the other day.

Unlimited local calls.  Calling Toronto (1.5 hours drive or so) is
$21.00 an hour, $8.40 an hour after 11:00 (60% discount).  I should
see if I can work out a volume discount with the phone company...  I
call Toronto a lot.

	-Colin

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/11/89)

In article <1938@accuvax.nwu.edu> Lars J Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com> writes:

>I pay $23.50/month for two lines, one tone service with 1+ provided by
>ATT, and one which is supposed to be pulse-only, with 1+ dialing
>disabled. The two lines busy-forward to each other. This includes
>unlimited local calling (but not 6% sales tax).

Does it include: 1) FCC-mandated access charge; 2) local tax (deaf,
911, etc.? If not, it's a couple of bucks per line higher than
Pac*Bell. If so, you got a bargain!

>And I have no desire to get CommStar. I'd MUCH rather install a KX-308.

How about both? I have six Commstar lines on my KX-T1232. The Watson
lives on an extension giving it the ability to answer multiple lines.
It can also "reach through" the 1232 and transfer calls to other
lines, keeping it's own line free. Commstar also allows me to have a
WATS line serve both me and my UUCP modems, although, come to think
about it, so would the 1232. The other four lines go directly to
zygot's modems, but if they lived on extensions then there could be
some outgoing flexibility.

Maybe it's time to rethink my telephony! (Is this enlightenment while
on line, or what?!)

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

salex@central.cis.upenn.edu (Scott Alexander) (12/18/89)

I'm going to be moving to California at the beginning of the year and
thus had some questions concerning the GTE vs. Pac*Bell discussions
which show up periodically on this list.

My impression is that Pac*Bell serves most of California with pockets
being served by GTE.  (And very small pockets served by independents.)
How large are the pockets served by GTE?  Is there any easy way to
find out which company serves an area (without visiting the area)?
Given all the California telephone horror stories, I'm not sure that
I'm looking forward to dealing with either company.  How far is
Pinnacles from Pasadena?  Can I get a foreign exchange line to there? :-)

Scott Alexander
salex@cis.upenn.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/19/89)

Scott Alexander <salex@central.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> My impression is that Pac*Bell serves most of California with pockets
> being served by GTE.  (And very small pockets served by independents.)
> How large are the pockets served by GTE?  Is there any easy way to
> find out which company serves an area (without visiting the area)?

In southern California, it's not pockets but major infestations. A
friend of mine who lives in that area once remarked that GTE
controlled all the places in the LA Metro area that were worth living
in. GTE handles the beach cities, and major areas more inland.
Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell in advance anymore. You
used to be able to call a given prefix and hear that dreaded "GTE
ringback", but now they're even using AT&T 1AESS switches right out of
the box. You mentioned Pasadena; it's served by Pac*Bell. Or you could
play it safe--come live in the Bay Area. Safe, but boring,
telephone-wise.

Areas to avoid: Long Beach, (or most of the beach cities), Santa
Monica, West LA, Diamond Bar, most of the "Inland Empire" (San
Bernardino, Ontario, etc.), Westminster. Frankly, it's a jungle down
there. Pac*Bell areas include LA proper, Hollywood, Santa Ana,
Pasadena, Alhambra, Orange, Anaheim. If you look at a map, you'll
practically see a checkerboard pattern.

> Given all the California telephone horror stories, I'm not sure that
> I'm looking forward to dealing with either company.

Tut, tut! If you're looking for good, reliable, plain vanilla
telephone service, then Pac*Bell will do the job nicely. They are even
fairly pleasant to deal with. But don't expect any CLASS features, or
ISDN or anything else that is au currant.

> Pinnacles from Pasadena?  Can I get a foreign exchange line to there? :-)

Hah! Pinnacles is up here, just south of the Bay Area!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com, , (JM Ivler) (12/21/89)

In article <2281@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> Areas to avoid: Long Beach, (or most of the beach cities), Santa
> Monica, West LA, Diamond Bar, most of the "Inland Empire" (San
> Bernardino, Ontario, etc.), Westminster. Frankly, it's a jungle down
                              ^^^^^^^^^^
> there. Pac*Bell areas include LA proper, Hollywood, Santa Ana,
> Pasadena, Alhambra, Orange, Anaheim. If you look at a map, you'll
> practically see a checkerboard pattern.

Correction. As a resident of that area, I pay my bills to Pactel *not*
GTE. I have refused to live in GTE service areas since I got out here
(over 11 years ago). Westminster may have lots of problems (like half
the store signs are *not* in english), but phone service is not one of
them.

JMI   jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com
Disclaimer: If my company knew I was on NEWS I would be shot, so what makes you
            think that they would ever let me speak for them?

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (12/25/89)

In article <2362@accuvax.nwu.edu> jmi@devsim.mdcbbs.com, , (JM Ivler) writes:

>Correction. As a resident of that area, I pay my bills to Pactel *not*
>GTE. I have refused to live in GTE service areas since I got out here
>(over 11 years ago). Westminster may have lots of problems (like half
>the store signs are *not* in english), but phone service is not one of
>them.

Sorry, I could have sworn that Westminster was GTE. Not being a
resident of southern California, my information comes from a variety
of sources. This particular association of GTE with an area came from
some conversations a couple of years ago with people concerning 976.
As a result of these conversations I got the impression that should
GTE ever provide generally available (no pun intended) 976 service in
714 that the call would be billed as a call to Westminster (as 213 is
billed as Los Angeles, 415--San Francisco, 619--San Diego, etc. The
natural assumption was that Westminster would be a GTE area.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Eric P. Scott <epsilon@wet.uucp> (12/26/89)

In article <2281@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>Pac*Bell areas include LA proper, Hollywood, Santa Ana,
>Pasadena, Alhambra, Orange, Anaheim.

When I moved here from Pasadena a year and some months ago there was a
chunk of the city (east of Sierra Madre Villa and north of Foothill if
I recall correctly) served by GTE from a Sierra Madre CO.  A friend
working at one of the "high tech" companies had no end of complaints
about this, not the least of which was that he was literally across
the street from Pac*Bell's territory even though well within
Pasadena's corporate limits.

Moral: Find out where the boundaries REALLY are.  (Another friend
found that the line ran right through his west-of-LA apartment
complex, and he too was on the "wrong" side.)

					-=EPS=-
			{claris,ucsfcca,hoptoad}!wet!epsilon
			Fast: wet!epsilon@claris.com
			Cheap: cca.ucsf.edu!wet!epsilon@cgl.ucsf.edu