[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling the BBS in Tallinn, Estonia

"John R. Covert 25-Dec-1989 0150" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (12/24/89)

>Moderator's Note: What a nice holiday present it might be to give
>this chap a call, even for five minutes or so, and wish him the best
>from his friends in the United States and elsewhere in the world of
>TELECOM Digest readers. If anyone does call, consider reporting back
>to us here, or perhaps downloading a bit of your session on line.

It's going to have to be someone elsewhere in the world, since AT&T
has not seen fit to reenable direct-dialing to anywhere in the SU
except for Moscow.  Tallinn was dialable in 1980 before Brezhnev shut
off all incoming traffic from the west, but not now.

I believe that AT&T feels that the grade of service (either due to
number of lines or line quality) to Tallinn is not adequate for direct
dial service and would prefer to have operators assisting customers
who want to call.

Readers will note that the information about the Tallinn BBS was
submitted by someone in Finland, rather close to Tallinn, who can
probably reach it on direct circuits from Helsinki.

/john

[Moderator's Note: Here is my question to you: Isn't it still possible
to call that system from here in the States by going through the
operator?  That is, place the call through the AT&T operator and
advise her at that time that the number will likely answer with a
modem tone *which is okay*, and that she should exit ASAP once the
carrier comes on. When the carrier is heard, immediatly enter ATO on
your modem (or the equivilent), and proceed with your session.
Admittedly the connection would not be the best; I doubt if a baud
rate faster than 300 would be successful at all unless the connection
was very, very clean. Any problems you can cite with using your modem
and computer through a manual operator connection?  PT]

sfmtmoscow@cdp.uucp (12/26/89)

 Date: Tue, 26 Dec 89 12:16:48 -0800
 From: sfmtmoscow@cdp.uucp
 MMDF-Warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at eecs.nwu.
 edu

 To: telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
 Subject: comp.dcom.tele: Re: Calling the BBS in Tallinn, Estonia

Dear friends!

I tried to connect with Tallinn maybe 100 times. Twice connection was
established, but I received NO CARRIER (on 300bps). Maybe you have
some recommendations for parity stop/data bits? It's real problem to
call Tallinn from Moscow. I will try again tomorrow.

Andrei
Moscow

[Moderator's Note: Thank you for writing. I believe yours is the first
letter ever published in the Digest from the Soviet Union. For the
benefit of the curious reader/student of email routing, I've enclosed
the envelope received with your letter for review. If you succeed in
connecting with Tallinn, please download your session to us for
inclusion in a Digest.   PT]

"Steven W. Grabhorn" <grabhorn@marlin.nosc.mil> (12/26/89)

Well, I just tried it via AT&T. Unfortunately, I should have been a
*little* more prepared when the operator finally connected me! It took
about 7 minutes through various operators; I connected to the modem
tones, and then I desperately tried to get my modem on line.  AAAHHHH!
Too much pressure and too little time. I guess I'll try it again when
I haven't been celebrating so much.....  Ya All have some Happy
Holidays!

(Direct dial doesn't seem to work, but the operators got me through.)

Steve Grabhorn, Code 645, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA, 92152
Phone:619-553-3454 Internet:grabhorn@nosc.mil UUCP:..!sdcsvax!nosc!grabhorn