[comp.dcom.telecom] Call Forwarding

wb8foz@ames.arc.nasa.gov (David Lesher) (07/25/88)

-
In the past, a number set to forward allowed multiple calls to
be in progress at once (provided, of course that the recipient
number had rotary lines to handle them). This was a great
advantage to many ports, because a 'fringe' phone could extend
the local calling area.
I now hear that our good friends at AT&T have rewritten the
switch software to exclude this possibility. Anybody care to
confirm/deny or otherwise expound?

[when I got my Remote Call Forwarding lines installed, I was told
that I could choose how many calls to forward at one time. --JSol]

eli@pws.bull.com (12/18/89)

    Subject: Re: User Control of Feature(s)

>Not generally true. When the forwarded call supervises (is answered)
>then the forwarded phone will pass another call. And so on. The reason
>this was done (they used to forward any number of calls, regardless of
>supervision status) was to prevent forwarding loops. Try it; place a
>call to your forwarded number and when it answers, place another--it
>should forward as well.

This isn't correct, at least in the Boston area switches.  A couple of
years ago, one could have many calls being forwarded through a single
line.  Now, only one call can be active through a call forward at one
time.

I just confirmed this moments ago, John!  If the first forwarded call
is still active, subsequent callers get a busy signal.  This is for my
residential service -- I've heard that you can indeed ask that
multiple calls be allowed through, but the phone company people are
baffled when I try to explain the situation.

steve elias / 508 671 7556 / 617 932 5598

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/22/89)

eli@pws.bull.com writes:

> calls]

> This isn't correct, at least in the Boston area switches.  A couple of
> years ago, one could have many calls being forwarded through a single
> line.  Now, only one call can be active through a call forward at one
> time.

> I just confirmed this moments ago, John!

Well, I just comfirmed moments ago that my office phone in Santa Clara
would indeed forward at least three calls, assuming that each of the
preceeding calls was supervised. It is served by a 1AESS co-located
with the Pac*Bell tandem.

However, when I tried the same trick on my home phone, it didn't work.
My home phone is handled by an unknown number of trained hamsters
(1ESS). With its 1951 generic, I'm not surprised. This little
experiment would lead one to believe that multiple forwarding is
something that can work on a switch-by-switch basis. I would suggest
that you might try other Boston area switches, but that doesn't solve
your problem with your particular switch.

> This is for my
> residential service -- I've heard that you can indeed ask that
> multiple calls be allowed through, but the phone company people are
> baffled when I try to explain the situation.

As much as I kinda doubt it, maybe there is a distinction between
forwarding on business vs forwarding on residential. It's ridiculous,
but who knows?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

bote@uunet.uu.net> (12/27/89)

re: Multiple simultaneous calls forwarding

Mr. Higdon writes in <2383@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

>eli@pws.bull.com writes:
>> This isn't correct, at least in the Boston area switches.  A couple of
>> years ago, one could have many calls being forwarded through a single
>> line.  Now, only one call can be active through a call forward at one
>> time.

>Well, I just comfirmed moments ago that my office phone in Santa Clara
>would indeed forward at least three calls, assuming that each of the
>preceeding calls was supervised. It is served by a 1AESS...
>However, when I tried the same trick on my home phone, it didn't work.
> [ for multiple forwards ]

>As much as I kinda doubt it, maybe there is a distinction between
>forwarding on business vs forwarding on residential. It's ridiculous,
>but who knows?

Traditionally there is a distinction between business and residential
class of service, particularly in this matter.

We have noticed in many operating regions around the eastern part of
the nation that business rated service has an essentially 'unlimited'
number of forwards, whereas residential service is limited to one
forward.

Further, orders for Remote Call Forwarding (TM), as pointed out
previously, do allow the customer to specify the maximum number of
simultaneous forwarded calls in many operating companies (even some
satrapies :).  Clearly, it is in the operating company's best
interests to keep that number as low as possible to conserve
resources, so don't be suprised that this wasn't eagerly offered to
you if you recently ordered RCF!

Bote
NCN NudesLine  703-241-BARE  --  VOICE only, Touch-Tone (TM) accessible
{zardoz|uunet!tgate|cos!}ka3ovk!media!csense!bote