[comp.dcom.telecom] US Sprint Visa/FON Card

Steve Forrette <STEVEF%WALKER_RICHER_QUINN@mcimail.com> (12/29/89)

I just got a mailing from US Sprint today announcing their combined
FON card/ Visa card.  It has a picture of it - one card that is a Visa
as well as a calling card.  More pictures show a woman using it at a
clothing store to buy stuff, and another showing a man using it at a
payphone and touch-toning the number.  The brochure says the one
number on the card does it all.

I though that I MUST be missing something, so I called Sprint customer
(dis)service to find out what the scoop was.  They said that as far as
they knew, the brochure was right - one number does it all.  I asked
them how they planned to provide security if every merchant and their
employees where I shopped knew my calling card number.  They said it
was secure; since the back of the card is not copied onto the carbon,
they would not know the dialing instructions!  I mentioned that I'm
sure that someone posing as a customer would have no problem getting
that information from their operators or customer service people.  The
response was that they don't give out dialing instructions to just
*anyone*.  They verify name and address first.  I know that I'm going
to sleep well with them looking after my account so diligently.

Perhaps they figure that the 2% or whatever they're going to pocket
off of the purchases will cover the fraud losses.  Sounds pretty
stupid to me.  Any thoughts?

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (12/30/89)

In article <2458@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>I just got a mailing from US Sprint today announcing their combined
>FON card/ Visa card.  It has a picture of it - one card that is a Visa
>as well as a calling card.  [The fraud possibilities are great.]
>Sounds pretty stupid to me.  Any thoughts?

There exist COCOTs now that let you enter a Visa card number from the
keypad, so I don't see that the increased fraud possitilities are all
that great.  If they have trouble, a straightforward possibility would
be to reqire the Visa card's PIN, the one that you use to to get a
cash advance from an ATM, for phone calls.

There are also at most airports phones that will accept any common
credit card and charge calls to that card using any of the usual LD
carriers including Sprint.  The card number is send as a long string
of DTMF digits which you can hear while waiting for the call to start
ringing; for all I know you could dial the same thing from any other
phone and charge Sprint calls to your Visa card now.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

David Dyer-Bennet <ddb@ns.network.com> (12/30/89)

In article <2458@accuvax.nwu.edu> STEVEF%WALKER_RICHER_QUINN@mcimail.com
(Steve Forrette) writes:

:I asked them how they planned to provide security if every merchant
:and their employees where I shopped knew my calling card number.

:Perhaps they figure that the 2% or whatever they're going to pocket
:off of the purchases will cover the fraud losses.  Sounds pretty
:stupid to me.  Any thoughts?

The merchant knows my credit card number anyway; that's worth a lot
more in possible fraud than my fon card number.  And by going to the
right places, prarticularly airports, they can make phone calls with
my credit card number anyway.  Frankly I don't see a significantly
increased exposure here.

David Dyer-Bennet, ddb@terrabit.fidonet.org
or ddb@network.com
or Fidonet 1:282/341.0, (612) 721-8967 9600hst/2400/1200/300
or terrabit!ddb@Lynx.MN.Org, ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!viper!terrabit!ddb