[comp.dcom.telecom] Don't Forget ANI

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (12/31/89)

The Blade <blade@darkside.com> writes:

> I heard in PA. that they are having trouble passing it through the
> courts, which is my case is good.  CID would mean almost an end to
> phreaking, and hacking for that matter.  It would save millions in
> lost revenue for the long distance companies, and almost wipe out
> illegally using these codes from one's residence.  Granted, you could

What miserably moronic idiot thinks that without CID it is perfectly
safe to hack out authorization codes for long distance? As one of the
original MF blue boxing phreaks of the sixties let me say that these
imbeciles give phone phreaking a bad name. Not only is their only
activity sitting there and trying one code after another for the sole
purpose of making free calls, but they don't even seem to realize that
their "phreaking" attempts are leaving trails that look like
interstate freeways at the long distance companies they are trying to
defraud.

When you place a call through a long distance carrier, CID or no CID,
the local telco has delivered the number of the originating telephone
to the LD company. Sprint, for one, has very aggressive "hacker"
detection, and all recorded attempts include a phone number.

Not that it was justification, but at least when we used to scoot
around the world via MF, we learned a lot about the network. Some of
what I know today came from those efforts. Making free calls was
indeed secondary to the thrill of establishing multi-tandem
connections, routing around the world to a phone on the next desk,
playing with auto route/rate, talking with operators around the world,
etc. Even in those days, when things were wide open, the number one
rule was: never use your own phone.

Jerks who hack out authorization codes apparently don't even have a
clue how the system works. Those droolers are beneath contempt.

> It goes without saying that phreaks (or do you say freaks?  :} ) have
> been among those voicing the loudest objections to CID. The lack of
> anomynity is going to hurt, isn't it guy?

I object to using the term "phreak" in association with this scum. It
sullies the name.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !