[comp.dcom.telecom] Multiple Call-Forwarding Error

Miguel_Cruz@um.cc.umich.edu (12/29/89)

My phone number (313-663), certifiably a residence, allows seemingly infinite
concurrent call forwards with the regular Michigan Bell call forwarding
service.  As an added bonus, you can forward it to another number (in a
different switch) and forward that other number back to it, and call either,
and hear endless clicks as the call gets bounced back and forth, eating
up more and more trunks (or whatever they use for interoffice calls
these days..).

[Moderator's Note: If you are correct in this, then I would say there
is a very serious problem there; one that MichBell should correct. You
can cross-forward here in Chicago, but the call forwards only once in
each direction and rings through. That is, I forward to you and you
forward to me: Calls to me ring through on your line regardless of how
yours is set, and calls to you ring through on me, regardless of how
my line is set. Apparently some information is sent with the forwarded
call telling the next switch 'call is already being forwarded, ignore
further forwarding and ring as requested', or something like that.
PT]

erc@cs.utexas.edu> (12/30/89)

In article <2462@accuvax.nwu.edu> Miguel_Cruz@um.cc.umich.edu writes:

>and hear endless clicks as the call gets bounced back and forth, eating
>up more and more trunks (or whatever they use for interoffice calls

I read the moderator's note.  Can A forward to B, who then forwards to C,
who then forwards to A?  This can be repeated ad nauseum -- is the phone
company smart enough to pick up on this?

Ed Carp	N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5) ...!attctc!puzzle!khijol!erc  (home) (512) 832-5884
Snail Mail:  2000 Cedar Bend Dr., #335, Austin, TX  78758
[Disclaimer: The information contained in this message is soley for
informational purposes only.  Use at your own risk.  No warranty
expressed or implied.]

Score:
Noriega: 1  USA: 0

"Good tea.  Nice house."  -- Worf

[Moderator's Note: Good point. Honestly, I don't know in all cases. We
seem to have two versions running in Chicago: One says stop the
forwarding when the point where *the person presently requesting it*
has been reached. In other words, no chain-forwarding. A forwards to
B; B to C; and C to A. Calls to A ring through to B regardless of B's
setting; calls to B ring through to C regardless of C's setting; and
calls to C ring through to A regardless of A's setting. Somehow the
call takes information with it saying in effect, "I am not really a
call to B, I am a call to A only reaching B by virtue of forwarding,
and how do we know A wants to really wind up with C ?"....

The other generic operating here will chain-forward some absolute
maximum number of times: this can be straight forward, A to B to C to
D, or it can be in a circle, A to B to A to B to A, and at some point
when it sees it is getting nowhere and is unable to ditch the call
someplace then it quits and returns re-order to the original caller. PT]

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (12/30/89)

Miguel_Cruz@um.cc.umich.edu writes:
> My phone number (313-663), certifiably a residence, allows seemingly infinite
> concurrent call forwards with the regular Michigan Bell call forwarding
> service.

A little digging reveals that it is not a business/residence matter at
all. It is simply a matter of feature implementation in the various
switches/generic software releases. When the feature was first
generally offered, it allowed unlimited unconditional forwards. When
it was found that two numbers forwarded to each other could wipe out
the entire trunk bank between the two switches, the generic was
modified to allow only one forward. Later, it was realized that simply
requiring each call to be supervised before the next was forwarded
would prevent a trunk-gobbling loop and this change was folded into
the 1AESS generic.

My office CO has a 1AESS running the very latest generic (CLASS
capable, I'm told) and can multiple forward, while my residence is
"served" by an old rusty 1ESS running shareware (I'm told it's
actually capable of connecting two telephones together, sometimes) and
forwards exactly one call, period.

> hear endless clicks as the call gets bounced back and forth, eating
> up more and more trunks (or whatever they use for interoffice calls
> these days..).

If you can actually do this, it indicates that they are running a
positively *ancient* generic and deserve to have all of their trunks
disabled by pranksters, which I'm surprised hasn't happened already.
If that were possible here, the trunks would be gone in an instant
because of the SS#7 signaling employed.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (01/01/90)

Our campus Ericsson MD110 &*^$^%#%^ switch currently allows exactly
one forward; when it was first installed you couldn't forward to a
phone that was forwarded to you, but you could make a three-number
loop and then crash the switch by calling any of the three numbers
(complete crash: no audio paths, no ringing, no dial tone, DEAD!).
Now you can set up a such a loop but the call will only forward once,
and the switch won't crash.

Actually, since they use divert-on-no-answer to provide voice mail,
that means that I can't use my secretary's voice mail to answer my
line, since even if I forward my phone to her number, it won't divert
a second time to the voice mail.

	- Brian