[comp.dcom.telecom] Running Out of Area Codes, and How to Dial Long Distance

Mark Brader <msb@sq.sq.com> (12/30/89)

Our moderator writes:

> ... area codes *as we know them* will be used up is 1995. I think 1993
> might be a better estimate.  From that point on, area codes will resemble
> prefixes, and dialing 1 before long distance numbers everywhere will
> be mandatory. ...

Presumably by "long distance" he meant here "to another area code".

The thing that most distresses me about this whole
area-code-exhaustion business is that it'll mean that we'll LOSE the
possibility of a leading 1 ACTUALLY meaning, as it still does where I
am, "long distance".

Here, we dial NNX-XXXX for local calls, 1-NNX-XXXX for long distance
within our area, and 1 + 10 digits for other area codes (I'll call
this "Syntax 1").

Now, we're about to run out of NNX prefixes in 416, which means that
the 1 + 7 digits syntax becomes ambiguous and has to be dropped.  Bell
Canada then has two options.  They could drop the "leading 1 means
long distance" rule, and we'd dial 7 digits within the area no matter
whether local or not, and 1 + 10 digits outside ("Syntax 2").  Or they
could drop the "no area code required within area" rule, and we'd dial
7 digits for local calls and 1 + 10 digits for long distance no matter
whether within the area or not ("Syntax 3").

Bell Canada has actually elected to go to Syntax 3, and I personally
am most pleased that they have done so.  (The effective date is
sometime in March, I believe.)  But it appears to me from reading this
forum that Syntax 2 is rather more common in other parts of North
America.  In Syntax 2 places, you have to know which prefixes in your
area code are local calls and which are not -- or in some cases, the
sharp division of calls into local (free) and long distance (not free)
doesn't exist.  Of course Syntax 2 does have the advantage that it can
be used where the local calling area is larger than the local area
code.

To be complete I should mention Syntax 4, which I think was formerly
common and is becoming rare: leading 1 is never used, and one dials
NNX-XXXX for any call within one's area, 10 digits for calls to other
areas.  It only works in areas where all exchanges are NXX.  And
finally, there are the variants of Syntax 1, 2, or 3 where the leading
1 is replaced by some other access code, such as the 112 mentioned as
having been used until recently in B.C.; I remember that Toronto used
to use 112 about 20 years ago, too.

Now, finally, my question.  Can anyone comment on the relative
prevalence of the four syntaxes that I have called 1, 2, 3, and 4 in
North America, or better yet, actually provide a list of what areas
use what syntax?  (Note: My interest here is in major operating
companies, not, say, Pinnacles.)

Mark Brader		    "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	     ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com     local standards are universal."	-- Tom Chapin

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (12/31/89)

The dial-1-for-money distinction was lost in many parts of the U.S.
long ago.  Many cities, notably New York and Los Angeles, have
multiple area codes for local calls.  Even here in Boston, you dial 1
for long distance except that there are a lot of exceptions where you
dial 1+number or 1+npa+number but it's local anyway.  What is a free
call depends greatly on what kind of service you have, a call that
costs nothing on one of my lines can cost 26 cents on the other (which
has cheaper monthly service).  Also, as I've noted before, there are
places in New Jersey where you can dial any of a local intra-lata
call, a local inter-lata call, a toll intra-lata call or a toll
inter-lata call with seven digits.

Dialing 1+area code for intra-NPA calls is a gross hack and is
unlikely in the long run to retain a useful distinction between free
and toll calls, although it does let them delay replacing some of
those old SxS exchanges.  Perhaps we need home COCOTs that tell you
when you dial how much you're spending.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com> (01/03/90)

In article <2486@accuvax.nwu.edu>, msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

> The thing that most distresses me about this whole
> area-code-exhaustion business is that it'll mean that we'll LOSE the
> possibility of a leading 1 ACTUALLY meaning, as it still does where I
> am, "long distance".

However... the distinction between "local" and "long distance" is
becoming more and more vague.  *Generally*, the distinction is useful
because long distance service is measured (pay for each minute), and
local service is unmeasured (a flat fee gets you unlimited minutes of
calling).

As time passes, though, more and more telcos are moving more and more
in the direction of local measured service.  (Just ask Patrick...)
Plus, marketing organizations come up with a near-infinite number of
"local calling areas", "extended calling areas", "message rate
service", "low usage message rate service", etcetera, etcetera,
etcetera.

So a leading 1 could indicate "long distance".  But should this mean
"measured service call"?  "Outside local calling area call"?
Something else?

The North American Numbering Plan is a *numbering* plan.  It provides
an unambiguous syntax for *numbering* -- not for cost of calls, or for
billing method, or for marketing distinctions.

Yes, it would be nice to know, as you are making a call, whether that
call will cost you a flat amount, an amount proportional to the length
of the call, or whether it's covered in your normal monthly bill.  It
would also be nice to know, in real time, how much that call is
costing you.  But I think that "1+" is not an appropriate solution.

> Now, finally, my question.  Can anyone comment on the relative
> prevalence of the four syntaxes that I have called 1, 2, 3, and 4 in
> North America, or better yet, actually provide a list of what areas
> use what syntax?

Of course not -- Why should I answer the question you asked when I can
answer another one?

Seriously, I doubt that anyone can completely answer the question.  I
can tell you the "recommended" method (1+10D for calls outside the
home NPA; 7D for calls within the home NPA), but this is another case
where the recommendation is one sentence and the exceptions would fill
a good-sized book...

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."