[comp.dcom.telecom] How Are Inter-LATA Calls in the Same Area Code Handled?

smk@attunix.att.com (S M Krieger) (11/27/89)

Since my LATA and area code (201) are one and the same, it's easy for
me to know when I am making an inter-LATA call.  But, how does LD
carrier selection and inter-LATA dialing work when an inter-LATA call
is within the same area code (such as between the Atlantic coast and
Delaware River valley LATAs of area code 609)?

Here are a few specific questions that I have:

    1.	Can just the 7 digit number be used to call across LATA
	boundaries within the same area code?

    2.	If someone wants to use an alternate LD carrier, is it
	necessary to dial 1+a/c+7 digits after 10xxx or just
	10xxx and 7 digits?

    3.	Is there anything else I should be asking but am not?

Stan Krieger
Summit, NJ
 ...!att!attunix!smk

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (11/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0534m07@chinacat.lonestar.org> smk@attunix.att.com
(S M Krieger) writes:

 (Asks some questions about interlata dialing in the same area code.)

Here in San Jose, I am in the 408 area, which is split between two
LATA's.  North of "the summit" which is the hills south of San Jose,
we're in the San Francisco LATA, which stretches to the Oregon border.
South of that, they're in the Monterey LATA.

>Here are a few specific questions that I have:

>    1.	Can just the 7 digit number be used to call across LATA
>	boundaries within the same area code?

YES. It's transparent to the user.  The default LD carrier is
chosen.

>    2.	If someone wants to use an alternate LD carrier, is it
>	necessary to dial 1+a/c+7 digits after 10xxx or just
>	10xxx and 7 digits?

Just 10288+7digits works fine.

>    3.	Is there anything else I should be asking but am not?

The meaning of life, perhaps?  (sorry.)

Actually, mileage on this may differ around the country, but here in
408 land, it's all pretty well laid out.  At least where Pacific Bell
is concerned.

P.S.  Hi Stan.  I'm used to seeing you in another newsgroup.  Glad to
see you here.

Ed Greenberg			+1 415-694-2952 (day)
uunet!apple!netcom!edg		edg@cso.3mail.3com.com
76703,1070 on CompuServe

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/30/89)

(S M Krieger) writes:

> But, how does LD
> carrier selection and inter-LATA dialing work when an inter-LATA call
> is within the same area code (such as between the Atlantic coast and
> Delaware River valley LATAs of area code 609)?

Here in Backwardtelephoneland, it is very simple. You dial the
seven-digit number, or if you are LD shopping, dial 10XXX +
seven-digit number. The northern part of 408 is in the San Francisco
LATA, while the rest of the area code serves the Monterey LATA. To
call a number in Monterey, I just dial the number (no area code). BTW,
it costs much less to call Monterey than to call San Francisco, which
is closer.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (12/01/89)

(S M Krieger) writes:

>But, how does LD carrier selection and inter-LATA dialing work when an
>inter-LATA call is within the same area code ?

I often call between my beach house and ny parents' house, both in 609
but in different LATAs, so I guess I'm an expert.

>    1.	Can just the 7 digit number be used to call across LATA
>	boundaries within the same area code?

Yes.  The only way to tell if it's an intra- or inter-lata call is to
look up the prefix in a suitable table.  As I've mentioned in other
messages, from Princeton NJ it is possible to dial local intra-lata,
local inter-lata, toll intra-lata, and toll inter-lata calls all using
just 7 digits.  It's very hard to tell how much a call will cost.

>    2.	If someone wants to use an alternate LD carrier, is it
>	necessary to dial 1+a/c+7 digits after 10xxx or just
>	10xxx and 7 digits?

10xxx + NNX-XXXX is adequate.  I haven't tried dialing a redundant area code.

>    3.	Is there anything else I should be asking but am not?

How many multi-lata area codes are there other than 609?  I know that
914 in New York is one, as is 408 in California.  Are there many
others?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (12/02/89)

I think Maryland (area 301) is split among at least 3 LATA's.  There's
1 on the Eastern Shore, 1 including Baltimore, and 1 including
Washington, DC (and another one in western Maryland?).

Also, most but not all of 215 area (in Pa.) is in the Philadelphia
LATA, which includes Delaware.  But 215-445 Terre Hill is not in that
LATA; I placed a call from there to Wilmington, Del., and it was
billed as inter-LATA.

de@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Esan) (01/04/90)

In article <telecom-v09i0539m04@chinacat.lonestar.org>, johnl@esegue.segue.
boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

> How many multi-lata area codes are there other than 609?  I know that
> 914 in New York is one, as is 408 in California.  Are there many
> others?

Yes, most NPA's have more than one lata in them.  As a matter of fact,
according to my last search 99 NPA's have more than one lata.  They
are:

201	219	317     412	509	608	704	805	901
203	301	318	413	512	609	705	806	902
205	303	319	414	513	612	706	807	904
206	304	402	417	515	613	712	809	905
208	305	403	419	516	614	715	812	912
209	307	404	501	517	615	716	813	913
214	308	405	502	601	618	717	814	914
215	309	406	503	602	619	719	815	915
216	313	407	504	605	701	801	816	916
217	314	408	505	606	702	803	817	918
218	316	409	507	607	703	804	819	919

 -->        David Esan                rochester!moscom!de

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (01/06/90)

In article <2600@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Yes, most NPA's have more than one lata in them.  As a matter of fact,
>according to my last search 99 NPA's have more than one lata.  They are:

There's something wrong with this search algorithm. Looking at the
list, I see 403, 613, 705, 807, 819 and 902 which are in Canada.  706
and 905 are pseudo-area codes for Tijuana and Mexico City which are
being phased out in favor of 011 5266 and 011 525.  809 is the odd
area code for most of the Carribean (although I have no idea whether
equal access is supposed to apply to Puerto Rico and the USVI, the two
American pieces of 809.)  Within the US, some of the ones look wrong.
The last time I looked, Utah (801) was one LATA possibly except for
some little independent telcos around the edge.  203 is mostly served
by SNET, a non-Bell telco, except for Greenwich which is New York
Tel's -- I don't know whether toll calls between Greenwich and other
parts of Connecticut are carried by SNET or inter-lata carriers.

But actually, I was really wondering if most multi-lata NPAs have
something like 1+number for interlata calls or if it's like 609 where
you dial everything with 7 digits and can't really tell until the bill
comes who carried it.