[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Companies in the US Besides the RBOCs

anthony@uunet.uu.net> (01/03/90)

Wonder if anyone could post a summary of all the major telephone
companies in the US besides the RBOCs.  Particularly Nynex (sp??), I
read recently that Nynex have made a deal with Telecom Australia.
Anyone know more about the deal ?

Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (Alias Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:(+617) 3712651
Internet: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au	    (+617) 3774139 (w)
SNAIL: Dept Comp. Science, University of Qld, St Lucia, Qld 4067, Australia

[Moderator's Note: There are over a thousand telephone companies in the
United States. Many are *very* small, serving only a few hundred
subscribers.  The largest, following the Mother Company and her former
children are GTE, with several telephone operating company subsidiaries;
United, Continental and Centel, although not necessarily in that order. I
think the smallest telco is one with eight subscribers.  PT]

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (01/05/90)

In case nobody else tells you, here are the names of the RBOCs:

NYNEX		New York and New England
Bell Atlantic	middle Atlantic states
BellSouth	south east
Ameritech	northern midwest
Southwest Bell	Texas and southwest
U S West	mountain and northwest states
Pacific Tel	California and Nevada

There were a lot more operating companies than this; U S West has
merged all of its operating companies into U S West Communications,
the rest still have the operating companies as subsidiaries, e.g. Bell
Atlantic still has New Jersey Bell, Bell of Pennsylvania, Diamond
State Tel (Delaware), and the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone
companies of, respectively, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and the
District of Columbia.  This is a long list, several of the holding
companies have only one or two operating companies.

The various companies have taken different diversification strategies.
BellSouth and Southwest Bell have bought into a lot of cellular
telephone companies outside their home area, Bell Atlantic has bought
software and computer maintenance companues, NYNEX has a chain of
computer stores, Pacific Tel is in undersea cables, and U S West is
doing all sorts of miscellaneous stuff.  It is my impression that the
ones that have stuck most closely to telephony have been the most
financially sucessful.

Two other of Ma's heirs that bear mention are:

Southern New England Telephone	most of Connecticut
Cincinnati Bell			small area around Cincinnati Ohio

They were affiliates rather than subsidiaries of AT&T (i.e. AT&T owned
a minority rather than a majority of the stock) and so are not subject
to the restrictions placed on the holding companies, even though
before the breakup they acted as part of the Bell System as much as
anybody else.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

Bob Goudreau <goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com> (01/05/90)

In article <2543@accuvax.nwu.edu> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:

>Wonder if anyone could post a summary of all the major telephone
>companies in the US besides the RBOCs.  Particularly Nynex (sp??), I
>read recently that Nynex have [sic] made a deal with Telecom Australia.
>Anyone know more about the deal ?

I don't know any more about that particular deal, but I can tell you
that NYNEX is NOT one of the major non-Bell telcos like GTE; rather,
it is one of the 7 RBOCs spun off from AT&T during the breakup.  Its
regional subsidiaries are New York Telephone (which serves most of New
York state and a little bit of Connecticut, I believe) and New England
Telephone (which serves almost all areas in Maine, New Hampshire,
Vermont, Massachusetts and Rhode Island).  New York and New England --
hence the name "NYNEX".

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

William Degnan <wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org> (01/06/90)

In an article of <3 Jan 90 11:29:39 GMT>, munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz.au!
anthony@uunet.uu.net (Anthony Lee) writes:

>Wonder if anyone could post a summary of all the major telephone
>companies in the US besides the RBOCs.  Particularly Nynex (sp??),

Well NYNEX is the holding company that owns to BOCs: New York Telephone
(NY) and New England Telephone (NE).

The "X" part may stand for Xtra money? Or, X as in cross connection?

>I read recently that Nynex have made a deal with Telecom Australia.
>Anyone know more about the deal ?

This isn't the deal where they going to put cellular phones on the
kangaroos?  :)  :)

Regards, Bill

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
Communications Network Solutions | William.Degnan@telenet.com
P.O. Box 9530, Austin, TX 78766  | voice: 512 323-9383