Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 19:06:00 CST
From: William Degnan <wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org>
Subject: Preface and Introductory Remarks

>William Degnan has provided a lengthy press release from the Texas
>Office of Public Counsel (the rate-setting organization in that state)

To clarify:

The Ofice of Public Utility Counsel (OPC) was created by the Public
Utility Regulatory Act -- the same legislation which created the
rate-setting organization-- the Public Utility Commission.

The OPC:

"(1) shall assess the impact of utility rate changes and other
regulatory actions on residential consumers in the State of Texas and
shall be an advocate in its own name of positions most advantageous to
a substantial number of such consumers as determined by the
counsellor;

"(2) may appear or intervene as a matter of right as a party or
otherwise on behalf of residential consumers, as a class, in all
proceedings before the commission;

"(3) may appear or intervene as a matter of right as a party or
otherwise on behalf of small commercial consumers, as a class, in all
proceedings where it is deemed by the counsel that small commercial
consumers are in need of representation;

"(4) may initiate or intervene as a matter of right or otherwise
appear in any judicial proceedings involving or arising out of any
action taken by an administrative agency in a proceeding in which the
counsel was authorized to appear;"

(and so on)

The Texas OPC initiated docket 8585 which is a general inquiry into
the reasonableness of SWB's rates and tariffs. This is a departure
from "tradition" where rate cases result from the Telco's request for
a rate increase. SWB was preparing to ask that rates be frozen and
that they be given additional "incentives" to modernize the network.

OPC and PUC staff testimony in 8585 has called for massive rate
decreases and refunds.

Regards, Bill

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
Communications Network Solutions | William.Degnan@telenet.com
P.O. Box 9530, Austin, TX 78766  | voice: 512 323-9383

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 90  3:39:00 CST
From: William Degnan <wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org>
Subject: Texas OPC Responds to Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

The following information was received from The Texas Office of Public
Utility Counsel (OPC), and is distributed for your information/comments.

PRESS RELEASE

Contact:  C. Kingsbery Ottmers

(512)475-3700

PUBLIC  COUNSEL  SAYS SOUTHWESTERN BELL
LOCAL TELEPHONE CHARGES SHOULD BE REDUCED

Newly-released  plans  provided  by  Southwestern Bell  Telephone
Company (SWB) confirm that the  telephone utility's  rates should
be reduced substantially, according to  testimony filed  today by
the Office of Public Utility Counsel (OPC), a state agency  which
represents residential ratepayers.

The  latest  testimony  filed by OPC accountant  Randy  M.  Allen
evaluates  the effect of SWB's recently)released 5 year  Business
Plan  on OPC's previously recommended revenue reduction  of  $595
million.  SWB had claimed that its latest plan and its  testimony
based  on  that plan effectively rebutted much of  the  testimony
filed by various intervenors.  After reviewing this newly  avail-
able  information, OPC accountant Randy M. Allen  testifies  that
the  new  information  substantiates his  conclusion  that  SWB's
revenues should be reduced at least $595 million.  Earlier testi-
mony filed by five other OPC experts suggested that the reduction
should be used to reduce rates for each major service category by
approximately  16.9%.

For  example, a 16% reduction to the local service  charge  would
reduce the average local rate from $9.69 to $8.14.  Those  previ-
ous filings included the testimony of Washington D.C.  economists
Dr.  Marvin  Kahn and Dr. Charles Johnson,  Boston  engineer  Dr.
Frank Collins, and OPC economic analysts Clarence Johnson and Dr.
Carol  Szerszen.   The determination that SWB's revenues  can  be
reduced was the culmination of a major investigation by Mr. Allen
and  other OPC experts in conjunction with two  major  consulting
firms that specialize in telecommunications economics.

The testimony is part of the Public Utility Commission's hearings
established  to determine whether SWB is earning excess  profits.
SWB  responded  to  the hearing by proposing a  plan  that  would
minimize rate reductions.

Referring to SWB's so)called "Texas First" plan, Ms. C. Kingsbery
Ottmers, the Public Counsel, said "the phone company's insistence
on  keeping its monopoly profits should really be called  `South-
western Bell First'".

She  said  that traditional regulatory controls  on  monopolistic
profits  provide  the best opportunity to  further  the  economic
development  of Texas.  "Our proposal will put money back in  the
pockets  of consumers and businesses throughout the  state,"  she
pointed out.

"Under SWB's plan, excess profits would be funneled to the  tele-
phone  company's  St. Louis-based holding  company,  Southwestern
Bell  Corporation," the public counsel said.  "Contrary to  SWB's
self-serving  description  of `Texas First', the  corporate  game
plan  is to diversify into competitive enterprises all  over  the
world and that means siphoning off excess profits from its  Texas
monopoly  and investing in businesses from Australia to  Europe",
she  continued.  OPC's recommended revenue level includes  suffi-
cient funds for SWB to upgrade the Texas telecommunication system
 --  an investment that the utility believes will cost $340  mil-
lion.   Ms. Ottmers stated that economically  justified  improve-
ments  to the telephone network should be performed --  and  that
high-tech  services which are made possible by the  modernization
should  pay  for the upgrades.  Ms. Ottmers stated  "the  quality
telephone  service  can  be  enhanced,  the  telephone  equipment
throughout the state, including rural areas, can be improved, the
rates can be cut by almost 17%, and the Company would still  make
a totally reasonable profit".

She noted that Southwestern Bell Telephone Company did not  offer
to  provide  service  improvements in rural  areas,  until  their
overearnings  were questioned by the Public  Utility  Commission.
"Public utilities are obligated to invest in facilities that  are
necessary to provide reasonable and efficient service -- that  is
why they earn a profit", she said.  "Now SWB wants permission  to
spend ratepayers -- not investors' -- money on its investment, in
addition to earning excessive profits".

OPC is particularly critical of SWB's recent claim that  proposed
rate  reductions  would force them to lay off employees  and  cut
service.  Ms. Ottmers said it is important to "distinguish  sound
business plans from pure public relations".  OPC points out  that
its proposed revenue reduction includes sufficient expense levels
to  meet currently expected payroll.  "Bell is trying to  confuse
the public", she said.  "The telephone company does not point out
that 5,700 employee reductions occurred since its last rate  case
 -- without any rate reductions".

Ottmers also branded as "preposterous" Bell's claim that a  reve-
nue reduction is illegal.  According to the Public Counsel, SWB's
version of "doublespeak" ignores the purpose of regulation.  "SWB
makes the incredible claim that regulation is intended to promote
excess profit rather than the fair and reasonable profit required
by law", Ms. Ottmers responded.

She  also denies that revenue reductions will reduce SWB's  level
of  service.   She said that traditional regulation  operates  to
calculate  revenue required to cover reasonable expenses  plus  a
reasonable return on investment.

"If  rates are reduced to cover the utility's cost,  including  a
fair profit margin, and the telephone company responds by cutting
service,  that  means the telephone company  is  diverting  funds
required  for utility service into its excess profits", Ms.  Ott-
mers  said.   "I  do not think the Commission  should  stand  for
that".

OPC's  testimony  defends traditional ratemaking as a  sound  ap-
proach which equally protects ratepayers and the utility's share-
holders.   "It is ironic that SWB argues, on the one  hand,  that
traditional regulation is outmoded, while at the same time admit-
ting that traditional regulation has allowed SWB and Bell  compa-
nies  throughout  the United States to  offer  quality  telephone
service at affordable rates", Ms. Ottmers added.

"Ratemaking"  as  practiced in Texas is mandated  by  Texas  law,
which was passed by the Legislature of Texas, according to OPC.

Hearings in the SWB case are expected to start in January of next
year.

                              -30-

 FACT SHEET:  TEXAS FIRST

 1.   Is SWB'S "TEXAS FIRST" PROPOSAL A GOOD THING FOR TEXAS?

 Without a revenue reduction, Bell's profits will be far too  high
 to  be  called  "reasonable".  Many of the  Texas  First  service
 changes have merit.  Incentive rate regulation is not a prerequi-
 site  for technological advancements.  A modern telephone  system
 is possible under traditional regulation.

 2.   IF WE DO NOT ACCEPT SWB'S TEXAS FIRST, WITH SWB'S PRICE TAG,
 ARE  WE CHOOSING STAGNATION - AS SWB CLAIMS - INSTEAD  OF  GROWTH
 AND PROGRESS?

 Of  course not.  SWB's current profits will be far too high.  SWB
 is  understandably trying to hold on to as much of the excess  as
 possible.  Their claims of less growth and progress, and even  of
 reductions  in present levels of service, are nothing  more  than
 scare tactics.  SWB is a monopoly, and the fundamental purpose of
 utility  regulation  is  to prevent the  telephone  company  from
 extracting monopoly profits out of Texas consumers.

 3.   THE  COMMISSION STAFF AND VARIOUS INTERVENORS ARE  PROPOSING
 REVENUE REDUCTIONS OF $392 TO $702 MILLION.  WITH CUTS THAT DEEP,
 WON'T BELL HAVE TO CUT SERVICE AND LARGE NUMBERS OF EMPLOYEES  IN
 ORDER TO COMPETE FOR INVESTORS, AS BELL CLAIMS?

 Not at all.  In rate cases at the PUC, Bell's rates are set at  a
 level  to pay for all its legitimate business expenses  necessary
 to provide reliable service to its customers.  That includes  new
 digital  equipment, where required, and all necessary  employees.
 In addition, the rates are set to include a reasonable profit  to
 the  Company  (a  return on the utility's  investment),  so  that
 investors will continue to invest in the utility.  The  utility's
 federal income tax on that profit is also paid by the ratepayers,
 to make sure the utility nets enough profit.

 The point is this:  Bell has no good reason to cut any  necessary
 service  or  employee, because the rates are set high  enough  to
 cover all legitimate expenses, plus a reasonable profit.

 4.   IF THE RATES ARE SET TO GIVE BELL ONLY A REASONABLE  PROFIT,
 WHY ARE THEY MAKING EXCESS PROFITS NOW?

 There  are several reasons.  Bell's present rates were set  about
 four years ago.  Since that time, the federal income tax rate has
 been  reduced from 46% to 34%.  Ratepayers have continued to  pay
 Bell  for those taxes at the 46% rate, even though the most  Bell
 would pay is at the 34% level.  Some of Bell's operating expenses
 have increased and some have decreased since rates were last  set
 in  1986.  For example, Bell has already reduced  its  employment
 level  by  5,700 employees.

 OPC  has recommended an increase in some expenses and a  decrease
 in  other expenses to arrive at a total level of  legitimate  ex-
 penses  less  than the level requested by SWB.  SWB's  rate  base
 (remaining  investment) has also changed, and the resulting  cost
 of  capital, including the cost of borrowing money, is less  than
 the cost at the time of SWB's last rate case.

 Because  the rates were set high enough to cover taxes and  other
 expenses  no longer being paid by Bell, Bell's revenues  are  now
 too high.  No matter whether Bell uses the excess revenue to  pay
 for something not required to provide good service, or uses it as
 excess  profits for shareholders, the result cannot be  justified
 so long as Bell remains a protected monopoly.

 5.   SWB SEEMS TO THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH TRADITIONAL
 RATEMAKING.  IS THERE?

 Traditional ratemaking provides a reasonable profit for utilities
 that  provide reliable service.  Sound ratemaking principles  and
 state  laws  balance the public interest by not allowing  SWB  to
 earn  excessive profits at the expense of Texas citizens.   Texas
 First  is SWB's attempt to keep its excessive profits.  In  fact,
 most  of Texas First can be accomplished under traditional  rate-
 making.

 6.   IS SWB  RIGHT WHEN  THEY SAY THE  OFFICE OF  PUBLIC UTILITY
 COUNSEL IS DISREGARDING TEXAS  LAW BY RECOMMENDING THESE CUTS IN
 BELL'S PROFITS?

 That  claim  by SWB must have been made from  anger  rather  than
 reason.  The claim is preposterous.  This office has no reason at
 all  to disregard the law, and it does not disregard it.   It  is
 Bell  which would like to avoid the mandates of Texas  regulatory
 law - and the utility regulatory laws in Texas are based squarely
 on  traditional ratemaking.  Any contention that utility  regula-
 tion  is  intended  to promote, rather  than  restrain,  monopoly
 profits disregards the historic antecedents of regulation.

 7.    SWB SAYS THE RATES IN TEXAS ARE 20% BELOW THE NATIONAL AVER-
 AGE. DOES NOT THAT SUGGEST WE ARE ACTUALLY GETTING A GOOD DEAL NOW
 ON OUR TELEPHONE RATES IN TEXAS?

 Bell is also claiming Texas rates are bargains because the  typi-
 cal  monthly bill is less than the cost of a pizza.   Those  com-
 parisons  are  not very relevant.  If SWB's claim  were  correct,
 then it is also true that SWB's costs are more than 20% below the
 national  average.   Of course, too many  factors  prevent  valid
 comparisons  of that type.  The way utility rates are  set  under
 traditional ratemaking, and under Texas law, is to set the  rates
 based  on  what  it costs that utility to  serve  its  customers.
 Anything more is a gift from the telephone customers to SWB.

 8.    DOES THE CURRENT LAW ALLOW FOR THE COMPETITIVE NATURE OF SWB'S
 BUSINESS?

 Yes,  S.B.  444  has been incorporated into  the  Public  Utility
 Regulatory Act and rules promulgated by the Commission.  SWB  has
 not been hesitant to use these rules and other Commission  proce-
 dures  to  implement many new services.  Public Counsel  has  not
 opposed  implementation  of these new services so  long  as  they
 comply  with the law and monopolized services, e.g., basic  serv-
 ice,  are not used to subsidize them.  OPC's concern is that  the
 new services be fair to SWB's customers and competitors.

 9.   DOES  SWB  NEED A FINANCIAL INCENTIVE  TO  PROVIDE  RELIABLE
 SERVICE?

 No.  SWB, as a regulated utility, has a moral and ethical respon-
 sibility  to provide adequate and reliable service at  the  least
 possible cost with regulatory constraints.  After all, SWB is  in
 business to provide service to and support the citizens of Texas,
 not  the  other way around.  SWB would earn a  reasonable  return
 under  OPC's  proposal that is sufficient to  attract  investment
 capital.  _Reasonable_ return constitutes adequate  incentive  to
 conduct business properly.

 10.  HAVE OTHER STATES ADOPTED INCENTIVE RATE PLANS SIMILAR TO
 TEXAS FIRST?

 While many Bell Telephone Companies have proposed similar  plans,
 most  state  regulatory commission have only adopted  such  plans
 after ordering significant rate reductions and changes similar to
 those proposed by OPC and other intervenors.

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
Communications Network Solutions | William.Degnan@telenet.com
P.O. Box 9530, Austin, TX 78766  | voice: 512 323-9383
William Degnan -- via The Q Continuum (FidoNet Node 1:382/31)
UUCP: ...!rpp386!tqc!39!wdegnan
ARPA: wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG

[Moderator's Note: My thanks to Mr. Degnan for passing this along and
for his efforts in producing 'digest-ready' copy. Special issues of
the Digest are prepared without number referencing so that they can be
kept in your reference files without an interupption in regular Digest
numbering.  PT]

End of TELECOM Digest Special: Texas OPC/SWBT