[comp.dcom.telecom] ISDN Sets

macy@cwjcc.ins.cwru.edu (01/08/90)

[Moderator's Note: This message likewise was delayed 12/25 ==> 1/5.  PT]

In article <2353@accuvax.nwu.edu> Torsten Dahlkvist <euatdt@euas17c10.
ericsson.se> writes:

>My question: Does any net.reader know if they're available in the
>U.S.? If not: Does anybody know why? My own hypothesis so far is that
>they're slowed down by those very same "oddities" of the U.S.  ISDN
>spec as have deterred us. Knowing the capacity of these Japs I'd
>expect US-type TAs shortly unless your own import restrictions prevent
>them :-)

Fujitsu is doing something in this area, I am told.  We do not
use/sell their ISDN stuff, but rumors are they are preparing to
introduce several new "applications oriented" versions of their ISDN
customer site gear.  The way I heard it, Bellcore and the CO
manufacturer's cannot agree on the CO sofware end of things, and
Fujitsu cannot proceed.  Since Fujitsu has entered the CO switch
market in the US, they could go ahead and introduce these units as
proprietary applications, but since ISDN and CO switching are two
different Fujitsu US divisions, that seems unlikely.

(Note: I am not cross-posting this to talk.rumors, but that's what
this is: unsubstantiated gossip, nothing more...)

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
 (Insert favorite disclaimer here)   (What if I gave a .sig and nobody cared?)