[comp.dcom.telecom] BBS a Business? So What?

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (01/10/90)

John Boteler <csense!bote@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> Why should a BBS operator care that business rates could be imposed?

> In my operating company area (C&P), monthly business rates are cheaper
> than residential, presumably because the anticipated message unit
> income would easily recover costs for the phone company. If the BBS
> receives incoming calls, how can a similar rate structure be
> detrimental? No message units would be incurred.

In my area, and I suspect others, the basic rate for business measured
is higher than residence unmeasured. Furthermore, most BBSs call out
quite often, so I don't understand your argument that no message units
would be incurred. It was frequently pointed out in all of the SWB
flap that business service was considerably higher than residence
service.

In my case, I don't have a BBS, but I do have a well-connected UNIX
machine. It uses four lines. It calls out at least as much as it
receives calls. It is not used for business, but for hobby purposes.
If I had to pay business rates, it would become unaffordable.

The question remains: Why should anyone have to pay more for telephone
service simply because they allow a modem to speak over the line?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !