[comp.dcom.telecom] 976 in Massachusetts

eli@pws.bull.com (01/05/90)

The Massachusetts DPU has apparently just given the OK for 976 (and
more) tariffs.  Also, 940 tariffs for "adult" messages.

Initially, all telephones will be blocked from making 940 calls.
Blocking for 940 numbers, as well as 1-900 numbers will initially be
available for free.

Steve Elias
work phone:  508 671 7556 ;   email:  eli@pws.bull.com , eli@spdcc.com
voice mail:  617 932 5598

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (01/07/90)

In article <2628@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com writes:

>The Massachusetts DPU has apparently just given the OK for 976 (and
>more) tariffs.  Also, 940 tariffs for "adult" messages.

>Initially, all telephones will be blocked from making 940 calls.

Excuse me, but how is a "940" provider supposed to make any money if
no one can call his number? Since the whole premise of 976, 900,
"940", etc., is to allow casual, impulsive calls and provide a
surefire billing mechanism, who would bother setting up a service that
would require clientele to go through elaborate preparations in order
to make calls?

>Blocking for 940 numbers, as well as 1-900 numbers will initially be
>available for free.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Unlike 900 & 976 which are by default open and
blocked on request, the 940 numbers will be blocked by default and
opened on request. The 940 numbers will generally be explicit -- very
explicit -- in sexual content, and subscribers who want to avail
themselves of the phone-sex service will need to specifically ask to
have their lines authorized.   PT]

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (01/08/90)

My impression is that the phone sex crowd are dedicated enough to send
in a postcard one time to get the 940 numbers turned on.

I have philosophical problems with all of the 900 style surcharged
numbers because unlike any other number you can dial, the number
itself gives you no idea of how much the call will cost.  I think they
should do something like prefixing each call with a message: "This
call to <provider> will cost <amount> per minute, starting at the
third beep" followed by three slow beeps to give you time to hang up.
Truth in labelling and all that.

Regards,
John

wnp@relay.eu.net> (01/09/90)

In TELECOM-DIGEST 10/13, John Higdon writes:
> >Initially, all telephones will be blocked from making 940 calls.

> Excuse me, but how is a "940" provider supposed to make any money if
> no one can call his number? Since the whole premise of 976, 900,
> "940", etc., is to allow casual, impulsive calls and provide a
> surefire billing mechanism, who would bother setting up a service that
> would require clientele to go through elaborate preparations in order
> to make calls?

If enough consumers want this kind of service, someone will probably
provide it. I am sure the phone company will be glad to provide a
count of unblocked subscribers to potential service providers who can
then decide if it is worth it.

Allowing casual, impulsive calls just simply is not suitably for all
types of materials, since there would be nothing to stop children from
impulsively calling such numbers, nor does anyone who casually
misdials a number need to be confronted with certain materials.

Wolf N. Paul, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Schloss Laxenburg, Schlossplatz 1, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
Phone: [43] (2236) 71521-465    BITNET: tuvie!iiasa!wnp@cernvax.BITNET
UUCP:   uunet!tuvie!iiasa!wnp   INTERNET: wnp%iiasa.at@uunet.uu.net

ted@mbunix.mitre.org (Ede) (01/10/90)

In article <2628@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com writes:

>Initially, all telephones will be blocked from making 940 calls.
>Blocking for 940 numbers, as well as 1-900 numbers will initially be
>available for free.

To clear up a minor point.  Blocking will always be free.  It's making
a change to the blocking that the phone company will eventually charge
you for.

The pamphlet that they mailed was very interesting.  In about six
different languages on the cover it said something like, "This is very
important information.  Please have it translated."

I'm surpised the don't put that on their bills.  But what do you
expect from a company that give you *net 45* to pay.

|Ted Ede -- ted@mbunix.mitre.org -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road|
| linus!mbunix!ted -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B090 -- (617) 271-7465 |
|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |