[comp.dcom.telecom] Thurbing

John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> (01/03/90)

In article <2492@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> writes:

>Idiot calls to my 800 number now fall into two categories:

>1. Callers wishing to reach a local (SF) ferry and public
>transportation service;

>2. Callers wishing to reach the Hilton Hotel chain.

>After blowing my stack when awakened at 5:45am by a woman who said,
>"Isn't this ferries?" (I beg your pardon!!), I developed a new
>approach. The moment I realize what the person who is on the line is
>after, I take their reservation or give them what (made up)
>information they seem to be seeking. Great fun!

James Thurber, in one of his short stories, discusses a similar type
of wrong-number strategy.  His hero deals with a call from a woman who
wants to know when the next train leaves for such-and-such a place.
(Presumably she was meaning to call the train station.)  He tells her
that there will be no further train until 2:30 A.M.  When she protests
that such a departure hour is unreasonable, he says, "That's true, but
as a special service to you, madam, we will send a taxi for you at
1:30 A.M. sharp.  Please be ready to go when the taxi arrives."
Mollified, the woman hangs up.

What happened to her after that?  Thurber doesn't say.  But surely it
must have changed her life in more ways than one.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/03/90)

In <2534@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> writes:

> I developed a new approach. The moment I realize what the person who is
> on the line is after, I take their reservation or give them what (made
> up) information they seem to be seeking. Great fun!

	Shame on you!  Put yourself in the place of the person
calling.  They have made an honest mistake (maybe it wasn't even their
mistake; maybe some place listed the wrong number in an ad or
whatever) and you take it out on them like they were some evil person
calling you on purpose to annoy you?  Imagine if you called to make an
important train reservation.  At the right time and date, you show up
at the station, baggage in hand, only to find out that they have no
record of your reservation and there isn't space on the train, and
there isn't another train until tomorrow, by which time you'll miss
your important meeting or whatever.  Pretty cruel joke to play on some
random unfortunate person.

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

[Moderator's Note: Your point is a very good one. Some readers may
recall the columns by {Chicago Tribune} writer Mike Royko on this
subject.  Royko complained that his centrex extension at the Tribune
(312-222-xxxx) was the same as a very heavily used number at AT&T,
less the 1-800 on the front of it.  He complained that AT&T should
change *their* number due to the several people calling locally who
failed to prepend the 1-800 to the number and wound up annoying him
instead.  His way of 'getting even' with evil old AT&T for refusing to
cater to him was to pretend to be an AT&T service representative, and
make nasty, ignorant and crude comments to the callers.

AT&T put him on notice, telling him he was free to say whatever he
wanted to people who reached him via a wrong number, except that he
was not free to purport to be an employee, representative or agent of
AT&T, either by direct statement or insinuation.  He was told if he
was caught making such a misrepresentation of himself or AT&T while
discussing the service of present, past, or potential subscribers of
AT&T he would get sued.  That simple. The eventual outcome was the
Tribune changed his extension number, and sent the other one to an
intercept on their switch.  PT]

jeh@simpact.com (01/04/90)

In article <2534@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) writes:

> James Thurber, in one of his short stories, discusses a similar type
> of wrong-number strategy...

Here's another tale in a somewhat similar vein.  (On second thought,
it's not similar at all.  But John's story reminded me of this one!)

Opening night of a particularly dreadful play -- intended to be a
comedy -- in NYC was attended by, among others, the well-known
humorist Robert Benchley.  Benchley was sitting near the front row and
was fast asleep by the end of the first act.

The second act opened on a set devoid of actors; the sole "performer"
visible was a ringing telephone.  Benchley stirred and said, loud
enough for much of the audience to hear, "Will somebody please get
that?  I think it's for me."

A review the next morning commented that "The funniest line of the
evening was spoken by Robert Benchley, who unfortunately was not in
the cast."

(I'm not sure, but I think I got this from a little book called "The
What To Do While You're Holding The Phone Book", by Gary Owens -- yes,
the LA-area DJ and tv personality.  Those old enough to remember
60s-era tv, and those fond of watching Nik at Nite reruns, will
remember him as the hand-on-the-ear announcer on Laugh-In.)

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA

Internet:  jeh@simpact.com,	     | Future shock:  A sense of bewilderment
 or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com | felt by those who were not paying
Uucp:  ...{crash,decwrl}!simpact!jeh | attention. -- Analog (Jan 90)

Bob Sutterfield <bob@morningstar.com> (01/04/90)

When my dorm room phone was one digit off that of the Better Cab
Company (serving Chicago's near north suburbs), I often received calls
at bar closing time.  I would mumble something like "we'll be right
there" and hang up.  When I finally got too fed up with the game
(probably during finals week), I stormed the local IllBell office.
They changed my number while I waited, and posted an operator to
answer my old number and discern who was the caller's intended
recipient.

Our company's WATS number is one digit off that of Texaco's customer
service hotline.  We keep wanting to say "don't worry, ignore that
bill and we'll take care of everything" but nobody's gotten up the
nerve just yet.  Somehow corporate life is different from a dorm room
at 2:00am.
[Moderator's Note: I admit it sounds funny....but it is not funny! As
Mr. Smith pointed out, it is a dreadful joke to play on an
unsuspecting person. Even a drunken patron of a public house deserves
the courtesy of being told 'wrong number', even if you say it angrily
and slam the receiver in the process.

Yes, I've done it too, years ago when I was a Young Man with an
attitude problem. In 1972, my business number was 312 - WEbster
9-4600. Sears, Roebuck Chicago Region Credit Services was WAbash
2-4600. I had two lines; they had a five position cordboard which
rocked around the clock with 65 incoming trunks in rotary hunt. One
day IBT/Chicago-Pullman cut over to ESS, and some fool of a CO
maintainence employee didn't know his 922's from his 939's. For six
hours one day, I was *saturated* with calls from people wanting to
gripe about their Sears credit card and I had a little fun with
them....considering the volume of calls, Sears didn't even notice they
were losing any. (How could you when you ordinarily get 350 calls per
hour...or like Amoco Oil's sales authorization reps, closer to 1000
calls per hour?)    PT]

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/04/90)

I spoke with a woman in Chicago recently that was constantly getting
calls for the bus station on her cellular phone.  She claims that one
time she took a reservation from a woman, and told her that there was
a special "buffet service" available, and that the bus would pick her
up at her house!

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: That is weird. The Chicago Greyhound-Trailways
Terminal gave schedule information on 312-FInancial 6-5000 for about
forty years.  Only recently they installed a centrex system, in the
312-781-29xx series, and give schedule/fare information on 781-2900.
Does her cell phone number come anywhere close to that?  PT]

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (01/04/90)

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	Shame on you!  Put yourself in the place of the person
> calling.

No! You put yourself in my place. Just this morning I have received
five calls for Hilton. Each of these calls costs ME money, disturbs my
peace, interupts my tranquility. Is it my fault that idiots out there
can't dial their damn phone?

> [Description of consequences to unsuspecting person being duped by my
> dark humor.]
> Pretty cruel joke to play on some random unfortunate person.

The only thing cruel about it is that I would not have the
satisfaction of seeing it happen.

> [Moderator's Note: I admit it sounds funny....but it is not funny! As
> Mr. Smith pointed out, it is a dreadful joke to play on an
> unsuspecting person. Even a drunken patron of a public house deserves
> the courtesy of being told 'wrong number', even if you say it angrily
> and slam the receiver in the process.

It is ceasing to become funny. It's now damned annoying and I even
called Hilton and told them what was happening and what I was doing
about it. They said they were sorry, but they weren't responsible
(they aren't) and whatever I did with the callers was up to me.

Pac*Bell informs me that it will cost $30 to have my number changed.
That's really wonderful. And after I have had my number changed (and
suffered all the screwups that will go with it), will I then get
Sheraton's calls?

No, there's no point in having it changed. It would probably be
trading a headache for an upset stomach.

Late word: One of the last callers, after questioning, has informed me
that *my* number is listed as Hilton reservations in their local
phonebook. I'm going to get a copy of that book. If this is true, I am
really going to be unhappy paying $30 because of a Pac*Bell mistake.
And who do we refer *my* old number to, Hilton or me?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Ken Levitt <levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org> (01/05/90)

In Telecom V10 #4 Roy Smith writes:

"Shame on you" {for misleading people who dialed a wrong number}

I think it depends on the situation and the type of business involved.
We all must take responsibility for our actions and live with the
consequences.  Anyone who dials a number at 3am better make sure they
are dialing the correct number.  If I wake up in the middle of the
night it may take me an hour or two to get back to sleep.  In this
case no punishment is too severe for the the offending caller.
(wouldn't Caller*ID be great?).

Many years back there were only two exchanges in my town (653 and
655).  One day we started getting a very large amount of wrong numbers
on one of our two lines.  It turned out that a catalog store had just
opened that week and they had the 653 number that corresponded to out
655.  I called the phone company and they said that we could pay to
change our number which we had been using for 9 years.  I then called
the store manager who was very arrogant and told me I should change my
phone number.  I pointed out to him that we had this number for 9
years and he had his for one week.  It would be a lot easier for him
to change his number than for us to change ours.  I also suggested
that it would not be good for his business if callers ended up talking
to an irate person on the phone.  He seemed not to care.

The people calling were interested in knowing about products for sale
or orders that they had placed.  These were not urgent items.  For a
while I did take some orders and told people that other orders had
come in.  The theory was that one of two things would happen.  Either
the store would get a lot of flack about this or people would stop
doing business with them.

After a while I got tired of this game and just left an answering
machine on the line.  I changed the message to something very generic
so that it did not identify who had been reached.  Some callers did
seem irate that they has called sever times and had not been called
back.

The funniest message that was ever left was from an employee of the
store who said that he would not be in that day.  You would think that
an employee would know that the store did not have an answering
machine.

The store finally went out of business after about two years and
things have been mostly quiet since then.

Ken Levitt - On FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
UUCP: zorro9!levitt
INTERNET: levitt%zorro9.uucp@talcott.harvard.edu

John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> (01/05/90)

In article <2556@accuvax.nwu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>In <2534@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> writes:

>[quoted nastiness deleted]

[flame in response deleted]
[comment by Digest Moderater deleted]

Please be more careful when editing messages!  The [quoted nastiness]
was >not< by me, but by John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com>.
Furthermore, the flame actually responded to a stretch of material
written by me but paraphrasing a >fictional< story by the well-known
author James Thurber, as indicated in the text itself.

I have >not< told a wrong-number caller I was a railway station.  John
Higdon has apparently misled some wrong-number callers.  A fictional
character in Thurber's short story has done the same.

David Tamkin <dattier@chinet.chi.il.us> (01/06/90)

Amid all the tales of pretending to be the business whose phone number
was misprinted and making promises to callers that the called party
isn't going to keep, are there any tales of the callee's simply
saying, "Sorry, they've gone out of business"?  It seems that would
stop the caller from dialing but would cause a lot less damage.

David Tamkin  PO Box 813  Rosemont IL 60018-0813  708-518-6769  312-693-0591
dattier@chinet.chi.il.us    BIX: dattier  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/08/90)

The moderator asked if my aquaintance with the cell phone who was
getting bus station calls had a cell phone number anything like
781-2900.  I don't know.  But it sure was an entertaining story,
at least the way she told it.  Remember that this person was in SALES,
were they like to tell funny stories, so she may have made it up. :)

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: I don't believe that sales people in the telecom
industry make up stories. Do they?  They do?   :)    PT]

"Robert P. Warnock" <rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com> (01/09/90)

In article <2614@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:
+---------------
| I spoke with a woman in Chicago recently that was constantly getting
| calls for the bus station on her cellular phone...
+---------------

I also get lots of wrong numbers on my cellular phone, and suspect
that that in the Bay Area lots of PacTel Mobile customers do, too. You
see, here in (415), PacTel Mobile numbers run "999-abcd", and for many
"a"s (including mine), there *are* non-cellular "99a-" local
exchanges. So if somebody's finger stutters (or they have a really
cheap phone), instead of dialing 99a-bcde", they dial "999-abcd".
Their local CO cheerily ignores the superfluous "e", and rings my
phone (or one of the other few thousand cellular phones).  In my case,
one of the ten potentially confused numbers (e = 0-9, remember)
happens to be a popular Mexican restaurant!

And yes, I do get calls from people calling in sick or whatever,
usually much earlier than my normal waking time. ("No, I *can't* get
the manager for you. No, I *can't* take a message.") And worse, often
in Spanish, which I don't speak.

By now, I have just accepted several wrong numbers a week as part of
the cost of using PacTel Mobile...

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/10/90)

The moderator, in connection with the story about the saleslady
getting bus station calls on her cellular phone said that he didn't
think telecom sales people make up stories :>

This lady was a FAX salesperson!

;=)
tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: A FAX salescreature? Oh dear! I'm sure she wouldn't
lie about anything.  I chased one out of our office just last week.  PT]