[comp.dcom.telecom] One Solution To 800 Wrong Numbers

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (01/07/90)

While "wrong number" calls at odd hours are a great nuisance to
residences, they are no big deal to businesses. Maybe the solution is
to move towards separation of residential number space and business
number space. Most people expect an 800-number to be a business
number, and may be less careful when dialing than they would for a
regular number. How about assigning a separate NPA for residential use
?  810, anyone ?

With new technology, and lots of small long-distance carriers to
compete, residential 800-service is going to boom, and I think it
would be better to have separate prefixes for residential and business
than to have multiple mixed NPAs.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (01/11/90)

In article <2668@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) writes:

> While "wrong number" calls at odd hours are a great nuisance to
> residences, they are no big deal to businesses.

I think you'd get some argument on that, but I won't provide it.

> Maybe the solution is
> to move towards separation of residential number space and business
> number space. Most people expect an 800-number to be a business
> number, and may be less careful when dialing than they would for a
> regular number. How about assigning a separate NPA for residential use
> ?  810, anyone ?

Actually, N10 codes (with the exception of 610) are in the set of usable
area codes and not reserved as Service Access Codes (SACs, like 700,
800, 900).  Whereas 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 are in the reserved set,
so it would make sense to use one of them.  How 'bout 400?  Like, half
of 800...

> With new technology, and lots of small long-distance carriers to
> compete, residential 800-service is going to boom, and I think it
> would be better to have separate prefixes for residential and business
> than to have multiple mixed NPAs.

I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's a good one.
(Haven't thought through the implications yet.)  Would be interested
in comments, and if there's anything useful (like, maybe a general
agreement!?), I'd be willing to pass things along to the
Numbering/Dialing Planning District here at Bellcore.  (Although I'd
greatly appreciate, if this is viewed as a Good Thing, if perhaps our
moderator could compile all the appropriate posts into a single file
and mail it to me -- I've had difficulty getting to the archives.)

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."