[comp.dcom.telecom] Modeming on Electronic Switch System

BMUG <bmug%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> (01/04/90)

Perhaps someone from Northern Telecom or someone else familiar with
this situation can point me in the direction of a solution...

We have installed on our site an electronic Northern Telecom DMS100
telephone system.  Because the system does not recognize normal tones,
the system as configured will not work with standard modems, FAX
machines, answering machines, etc.  It *is* possible to get individual
lines massaged to enable use of these devices, but said massage costs
over $10/line/month (which gets to be kind of expensive when we're
talking about ~25 lines).

One thing I'd love to do is to connect a dialing device to our
Macintoshes to enable our staff to use a software address book/
dialer.  On a standard phone system, of course, there are myriad
possibilities, such as modems and devices like HyperDialer.  I'd like
to find out whether a hardware interface to the NT electronic system
exists, or better yet, whether someone has written a utility which
will convert standard tones to whatever digital language the telephone
system understands -- preferably under the Mac OS :-) -- to which the
output from our dialing software can be sent and translated.

Please respond via email, as this newsgroup is virgin territory to me.
However, I promise to post a summary if info and interest warrant.
Thanks!

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

davel@rti.uucp> (01/10/90)

In article <2579@accuvax.nwu.edu>, bmug%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.
berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:

>Perhaps someone from Northern Telecom or someone else familiar with
>this situation can point me in the direction of a solution...  We
>have installed on our site an electronic Northern Telecom DMS100
>telephone system.  Because the system does not recognize normal tones,
>the system as configured will not work with standard modems, FAX
>machines, answering machines, etc.  It *is* possible to get individual
>lines massaged to enable use of these devices, but said massage
>costs over $10/line/month (which gets to be kind of expensive when
>we're talking about ~25 lines).

Before we can find a solution, we must first define what the problem
is.  The first thing that must be defined is the terminology, normal
tones.  To me, normal tones are the tone definitions that have been
established by Bellcore as standards. The examples that come to mind
here are, of course, digitone (dual tone multi frequency), mf (multi-
frequency), busy tone, etc.

With that definition, then we can determine that the problem is not
that the DMS-100 will not recognize standard tones. All Northern
Telecom digital switches meet the standards defined by Bellcore for
tone generation/reception.

Based upon what I do know, I think that centrex service has been
provided to the office, and that the service has been provided on
Electronic Business Sets versus a standard 2500 telset. This can cause
some confusion. The EBS is not a standard telset, since it has a 19.2
digital data link to the switch where all the signaling, off-hook,
ringing, etc is passed.  The EBS will require that a different type of
line card be used within the DMS-100.

As far as the rest of the problem, the solution to me is quite simple.
For those systems that need to be connnected with the telephone
network, like the fax machine, order a standard IBS line. For modems,
the question then must be asked if it is for data communication or
some type of telephone dialing system. For data communications, I opt
for a dedicated line, as for the fax.  For dialing systems, I would
investigate the features that Meridian Digital Centrex has to offer,
especially with EBS. Your customer service rep should be able to help
you.

I realize that answers were requested via E-mail...But I feel that the
question and answer might be of benefit to the digest..

Dave Livingston                            Standard Disclaimer Applies
Northern Telecom - DMS-10
Research Triangle Park, NC
EMAIL ...!uunet!mcnc!rti!ntpdvp1!davel
919/992-3322

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (01/11/90)

In article <2736@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ntpdvp1!davel@rti.uucp (Dave Livingston)
writes:

[specifics omitted]

> ...standards defined by Bellcore...

While we're talking correct terminology... Bellcore doesn't define
standards; Bellcore writes technical requirements.  Committee T1,
CCITT, and ISO write standards, to which Bellcore (and Northern
Telecom/Bell Northern Research, among others) is an active
contributor.

I know what you meant, but the term is actually "Bellcore
Requirements".

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."