[comp.dcom.telecom] Free Local Phone Calls

malcolm@apple.com (01/03/90)

The following annoucement was sent to me by a colleague.  I thought it
might be of interest to the list.  Maybe the blipvert isn't as far
away as we thought.....

								Malcolm

Isn't technology wonderful? --

Phone Spots Inc. (Weston, MO) has received a patent for a device that
places recorded messages in the four second interval between rings of
a telephone.  The company is in the early stages of developing one
application, called Freephone Service, for its invention.

The Freephone concept involves distinctively marked, coinless public
telephones that allow anyone to make free three-minute local calls.
Callers will hear short advertising messages between rings while
waiting for the phone to be answered.  When the called party picks up
their receiver, the messages stop.  Sites for the phones include
airports, hotels and convention centers.  Currently there are over
48,000 public pay phones in these areas.  Phone Spots expects
advertising revenues to support the service.

VoiceNews, December 89

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo Gariepy) (01/06/90)

In article <2580@accuvax.nwu.edu> malcolm@apple.com writes:

> The Freephone concept involves distinctively marked, coinless public
> telephones that allow anyone to make free three-minute local calls.

I view payphones as an essential public service along the lines of
mailboxes, trashcans, fire hydrants, and ...ahem, we won't mention
that...

Free local-only phones have the potential to drive pay phones out of
locations where most of the revenue is generated by 25 cent local
calls.  That includes almost everywhere but airports and hotels.  The
result is reduced service.  The 25 cents you normally pay for short
local calls justifies the existence of a full service telephone that
can be used for toll calls and longer local calls.

This also bears on the claim that a COCOT shouldn't charge ten cents
for 800 calls because they don't cost the owner anything.
Ridiculous!! The costs of a tollfree call are the same as a local call
to the owner: a monthly line cost and paying the lease on the phone.
COCOTs look much better in the long run then these free phones.

Most free things are worth what you pay.  Commercial television is a
good example.

Alonzo Gariepy			//  Think of something original to say;
alonzo@microsoft		//  endless debate is so boring...

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (01/08/90)

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo Gariepy) writes:

> This also bears on the claim that a COCOT shouldn't charge ten cents
> for 800 calls because they don't cost the owner anything.
> Ridiculous!! The costs of a tollfree call are the same as a local call
> to the owner: a monthly line cost and paying the lease on the phone.

Not true. COCOT owners are charged for local calls the same as any
other business. What the COCOT owner makes off local calls is the
difference between what he charges and what the telco charges him. 800
calls, on the other hand, cost him nothing at all. Just as 950, local
and intralata information, emergency, and repair service cost him
absolutely nothing.

One of the costs of doing business in the COCOT world is providing the
facilities for those free calls. In the case of emergency and repair
service, the PUC mandates that these calls be permitted without
charge.  If you consider public phones to be a necessity of life, how
can you justify COCOTs being less of a service to the public than
telco pay phones? One of the reasons I have an 800 number is to check
my messages from anywhere in the state without being gouged by AOSs.
Another is so that I don't have to have change handy. If the only
phone in the area requires a dime that I don't have, I am not served.

If COCOTs can't provide *at least* the level of service as the telco
pay phones, they are extra baggage to society and should never have
been allowed in the first place. I have no problem with creating a new
industry as long as it doesn't displace a public service that has
become traditional over past decades.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

tsn@neoucom.EDU (Tom Napoletano) (01/12/90)

The PUCO, public utility commission in Ohio, mandates that information
calls be free to the user, however, the telco charges $0.30 to $0.60
per call to the cocot operator (1411 vs 5551212).

[Moderator's Note: Really, I don't see how the telco can get away with
charging the COCOT operator either, since technically the COCOT
operator is the 'user' of the service he in turn is re-selling to his
customer. If telco is required by PUCO to give information for free,
then it has to be given for free to all, no? If the COCOT owners would
push on this, I think they could get it for free also.  PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (01/16/90)

tsn@neoucom.EDU (Tom Napoletano) writes:

> The PUCO, public utility commission in Ohio, mandates that information
> calls be free to the user, however, the telco charges $0.30 to $0.60
> per call to the cocot operator (1411 vs 5551212).

Sounds like all the good people of Ohio need to save up all of their
inquiries, walk down to their local COCOT, and make all those DA calls
they were too cheap to make at home. They'll get two benefits for the
price of none.:-)

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !