[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Code 908 Lives

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (01/03/90)

Right on schedule, 1/2/90, our shiny new area code began working in
Central New Jersey.  I forget when it's supposed to become mandatory,
but folks who choose to use it can now call us on 908.  Others can
still use 201.

Dave Levenson			Voice: (201 | 908) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

Seth Zirin <shz@packard.att.com> (01/03/90)

In article <2530@accuvax.nwu.edu> dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson)
writes:

>Right on schedule, 1/2/90, our shiny new area code began working in
>Central New Jersey.  I forget when it's supposed to become mandatory,
>but folks who choose to use it can now call us on 908.  Others can
>still use 201.

Not in the areas served by United Telephone.  Those people are lucky
when 201 works!

"Louis J. Judice 04-Jan-1990 0842" <judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com> (01/04/90)

> re: message indicating that in United Telecom areas, A/C 908 is not
> working yet.

Another problem is that many PBX's are programmed to reject area codes
(to reduce phone abuse). Since public knowledge of 908 is virtually
non-existant, most system administrators have not turned 908 on yet.

Incidentally, while on a 411 call to get a number from NJ Bell
information I asked "is the 908 area code working fully now?" - and
got the response "what are you talking about, there is NO 908 area
code here in my list"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO KIDDING!

Lou Judice
Digital Equipment
(908/201) 562-4103

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/04/90)

When the new area code in Illinois arrived last fall, Illinois Bell
had a nationwide WATS number that you could call which would prompt
you to dial a 3 digit prefix, and then tell you whether or not it was
in the new area code.

Is there any service like this for the new 908 code?  Any other way
of finding out some exact definitions of the area it covers?  I need
to update my mailing list at the office, and also a list that I use to
cross reference the first three digits of a postal Zip Code to the
telephone area code.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (01/08/90)

I tried calling 908 from my office (served by GTE in WA state) and got
nowhere.  Also my Sprint line at home will not accept 908 calls.  I
have the Bellcore letter announcing 908, but it seems to have a LONG
period of permissive dialling...til June 1991!

When I called GTE about it, they claimed that there was NO 908 area
code.  When I read the Bellcore letter, I was passed to a supervisor
who claimed that New Jersey Bell had decided not to implement it "just
yet"!

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (01/16/90)

> I tried calling 908 from my office (served by GTE in WA state) and got
> nowhere.  Also my Sprint line at home will not accept 908 calls.  I
> have the Bellcore letter announcing 908, but it seems to have a LONG
> period of permissive dialling...til June 1991!

> When I called GTE about it, they claimed that there was NO 908 area
> code.  When I read the Bellcore letter, I was passed to a supervisor
> who claimed that New Jersey Bell had decided not to implement it "just
> yet"!

Yes, I also tried to dial several NJ numbers using 908 instead of 201
and got nothing but a fast busy.  I guess that indicates that it's not
hooked up at this time.  Where is the split happening anyway?  Is the
northern part of 201 becoming 908 or is it another area?

 Bob
     _____________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ______________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854