[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Stuff

roy@uunet.uu.net> (01/31/90)

In article <3266@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. De Armond)
writes:

> The reason for this is simple.  All Visa/MC/Amex type and the phone
> company credit cards ("phone company" means most BOC or AT&T) follow a
> published standard of checksuming the digits of the card.  The last
> digit is a derived value based a computation of a sum-of-the-digits
> algorithm.  This algorithm is not a simple add-the-digits routine but
> I don't have the specifics handy.

This is interesting... a short time ago, I had the bad luck to
transmit my calling-card number on a multi-line BBS here in Anchorage.
Even though the chances of the other participants recognizing it was
very small, I'm a security-concious kinda guy, so I immediately called
Alascom to cancel my card. (as an aside, it took about 12 minutes and
3 supervisors to unearth the US-West 800 number I was to call. The 800
gave me a recording, and asked me to leave a message with the
requisite CC data).

The following Tuedsay (as this happened on Friday night), I got a call
from Anchorage Telephone Utility, asking if I would like the card
re-issued with a new PIN. I agreed, and my new card was sent out.  The
new card number is _exactly_ the same as the old one, save for the
4-digit PIN at the end.

> Another interesting fact concerns the insecurity of PINs.  We already
> know that the last digit is computed.  On most AT&T/BOC cards, the PIN
> starts with a "2".

Alaska PINs don't seem to start with '2', and both of my 4-digit PINs
have different beginning digits.

Does this mean that if I were to compute a 'logically correct'
14-digit CC number, I could slip it by the AOS sleazeballs? (not that
I'm planning it, but.....:-)

Roy M. Silvernail  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"
SnailMail: P.O. Box 210856, Anchorage,       |   ........Mr. Slippery
Alaska, 99521-0856, U.S.A., Earth, etc.      |  <Ono-Sendai: the right choice!>