[comp.dcom.telecom] On Learning That a Number is Unlisted

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (02/01/90)

Somebody wrote:

>> the theory goes that non-pubs cause extra aggravation for the
>> operator because of the people, who not finding it in the book,
>> call to argue with the operator about it; particularly when he
>> can't find it either.

Some phone books have this common-courtesy reminder: When you are told
that a number is unlisted (or, merely using a different way of saying
the same thing, non-published), please do NOT persist in trying to get
it; it is not available, period.

[Moderator's Note: Not only that, but over sixty years ago, the cover
of the Chicago Telephone Company (predecessor of IBT) alphabetical
directory printed this admonition to subscribers: "We ask that our
subscribers extend the same courteous speech to our operators that
they wish to hear in return. Our operators are not required by the
Company to remain connected with, or listen to a subscriber who uses
profane language in addressing them."  Like what is it 'they' say?
Trying to bail out the ocean using a one gallon bucket.....  Operators
are terribly mistreated by some crude, belligerent customers.  PT]

Chris Johnson <chris@com2serv.c2s.mn.org> (02/03/90)

In article <3455@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>Somebody wrote:

>>> the theory goes that non-pubs cause extra aggravation for the
>>> operator because of the people, who not finding it in the book,
>>> call to argue with the operator about it; particularly when he
>>> can't find it either.

>Some phone books have this common-courtesy reminder: When you are told
>that a number is unlisted (or, merely using a different way of saying
>the same thing, non-published), please do NOT persist in trying to get
>it; it is not available, period.

Would this half-baked idea make any sense: What if the unlisted (which
at least here in Minneapolis and in Denver means just not in the phone
book but available via Information) and the unpublished (you can't get
it at all) person's names were listed in the phone book, but instead
of a phone number, it just said "Unlisted" or "Unpublished", as the
case may be?

The first argument against that is it would give away that the person
in question _did_ have a telephone.  But you can usually glean that
from calling information and asking for their number, anyway.  Sure,
the information operators might give the same "I'm sorry, that number
is not published" answer for a non-existant telephone subscriber/customer,
but _I've_ never had them do that.  I always come away from calling
information with either the number I want, or the knowledge that
either the person does not have a phone in their name, or the phone
company just is not going to give it to me.

Any other arguments?  It seems to me it would reduce information calls
to some extent, but would it be a significant amount?

Chris Johnson                  DOMAIN:  chris@c2s.mn.org
Com Squared Systems, Inc.         ATT:  +1 612 452 9522
Mendota Heights, MN  USA          FAX:  +1 612 452 3607

[Moderator's Note: Here, the theory is you can sit all day and brouse
through the directory, looking for names, addresses, etc; where
calling DA requires you to have a *name and address to start with*.
And DA won't fool around chatting with you for more than a few
seconds. They won't do your brousing for you. By brousing the directory
you can (if your idea was implemented) learn of the *existence* of
people and addresses who wish to maintain their privacy. It is unlikely
you would gain this much knowledge from a call to DA.  PT]