[comp.dcom.telecom] California PUC Okays Intrastate Carrier Blocking?

c186aj@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (02/04/90)

I had the occasion to call the Pacific Bell COCOT office to complain
about a phone that was blocking 10xxx dialing, and they said that the
Calif PUC had ruled that it was *okay* for them to block carriers
other than their own!  Can you believe this?  Considering the recent
postings of others regarding the restructuring of regular service
rates, I have serious doubts as to just whose interest the PUC is
looking after.

Since the CPUC can only regulate in-state calls, and since the FCC
commissioner's order on blocking is still in effect, I assume that
COCOT's still must allow 10xxx dialing for out-of-state calls, but I'd
be willing to bet that the ones that block don't make that
distinction.

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/05/90)

Steve Forrette <c186aj@cory.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I had the occasion to call the Pacific Bell COCOT office to complain
> about a phone that was blocking 10xxx dialing, and they said that the
> Calif PUC had ruled that it was *okay* for them to block carriers
> other than their own!

Was that the 811-4646 number? Those people are incredibily uninformed
and ineffective. It took me three months working with them to get some
Pac*Bell pay phones programmed correctly, and then it only happened
because I invoked a little upstairs muscle. Can anyone confirm that
PUC attitude from an independent source?

> Since the CPUC can only regulate in-state calls, and since the FCC
> commissioner's order on blocking is still in effect, I assume that
> COCOT's still must allow 10xxx dialing for out-of-state calls, but I'd
> be willing to bet that the ones that block don't make that
> distinction.

The only reason COCOTs have to be allowed in the first place (and why
states can't prohibit them) is because of the terms of the MFJ. Since
the whole point of divestiture is to foster and encourage competition
in the communications industry, how can a lack of choice (of LDCs)
further that end? That's just replacing one Hobson's choice (AT&T)
with another (a slimy, overpriced AOS).

To my shame, I haven't been monitoring the CPUC lately. If they have
slipped something like this through in addition to the "incentive
regulation" abortion, then we can kiss decent regulation goodbye in
the Golden State.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !