[comp.dcom.telecom] Moving Information

Chris Johnson <chris@com2serv.c2s.mn.org> (01/31/90)

>[Moderator's Note: I think the 'one hour holding time' could be
>explained thus: many of us sit on line to do our work. For example, I
>am connected to a local dialup here for two hours each day minimum
>while working on the Digest. And what of the numerous people who spend
>their entire lives on Compuserve CB (or it would seem like it! :) )...
>Data is data is data.....and there are far more casual BBS users and
>modem chatters out there than you realize, staying on line for an hour
>or more at a time. What I can communicate vocally in fifteen seconds
>takes a minute or more of interactive chat to type, transmit and read
>does it not?  PT]

Then the obvious thing to do is to charge by actual usage of
equipment.  Ho!  What an idea!  If hold times longer than XX minutes
tend to put a bigger demand on the equipment, then charge more for
them.  I wouldn't object to a flat rate for as many calls as I like as
long as they are less than 30 minutes or something, and then pay an
incremental fee for longer periods.  Or maybe just a larger flat rate
to have unlimited connect/hold times, or pay a lower monthly phone
rate to have my calls limited to 15 minutes, after which they
automatically disconnect me.  Or based on time of day.  As someone
mentioned, there is hardly a lack of facilities between 0000 and 0600,
which is when most modem usage probably takes place.

Even Compuserve CB is probably busier then than it is earlier in the
day.  It does not make any sense nor is it fair to charge more to
modem users just because some/many of them have long holding times.
Have you ever seen one end of a couple of pining separated lovers make
a phone call?  Hours.  I even knew one woman in college who would call
her boyfriend when she went to bed, talk for an hour, then fall
asleep, having a "holding time" of all night.  Like 8 hours.  Hell,
when I call home and talk to my family, it's usually over an hour and
sometimes my brother and I can go on for a couple hours.  Maybe we
should charge higher rates to people who call their parents?  It makes
about as much sense as classing all modem users together.  This sounds
like the kind of assinine intelligence the insurance industry uses.

And this doesn't say a thing about the good arguments for reducing
telephone rates, since most telephone companies are making obscene
profits.  As a regulated utility which should make profits adequate to
insure continued investor support to the extent that such is necessary
for expansion and rennovation of their facitilities, they need not be
the record profit-making enterprises that other companies are.  But in
the "upper Midwest", the region consisting of Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Iowa, North and South Dakota, guess which companies are in the Top 10
most profitable corporation list, year after year?  Uh huh -- all of
the regulated utilties: Northwestern Bell, Northern States Power, etc.
Something is definitely fishy with that situation.

Chris Johnson                  DOMAIN:  chris@c2s.mn.org
Com Squared Systems, Inc.         ATT:  +1 612 452 9522
Mendota Heights, MN  USA          FAX:  +1 612 452 3607

ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin Sirbu) (02/01/90)

Chris Johnson <chris@com2serv.c2s.mn.org> writes:

> And this doesn't say a thing about the good arguments for reducing
> telephone rates, since most telephone companies are making obscene
> profits.  As a regulated utility which should make profits adequate to
> insure continued investor support to the extent that such is necessary
> for expansion and rennovation of their facitilities, they need not be
> the record profit-making enterprises that other companies are.  But in
> the "upper Midwest", the region consisting of Minnesota, Wisconsin,
> Iowa, North and South Dakota, guess which companies are in the Top 10
> most profitable corporation list, year after year?  Uh huh -- all of
> the regulated utilties: Northwestern Bell, Northern States Power, etc.
> Something is definitely fishy with that situation.

If you put $100 million on deposit in a bank and only earned $ 1
million per year in interest, you would think that was a lousy deal.
After all, you should get more than 1% interest on your money.  Yet
someone else might say "a million dollars a year is plenty of income
for anyone -- you don't 'deserve' to earn any more."  U.S. West -- which
serves the "upper Midwest" -- has at least $20 billion of invested
capital in telephone plant.  If you want investors to continue to put
up money, you have to "pay" them at least what they can earn in
comparable investments, or about $2 - 2.5 billion per year.  The total
amount of profits is not the right measure of whether the phone
companies are earning too much: it's the rate of return on the
invested capital which you want to look at.  I don't know what U.S.
West's rate of return is, and I won't defend it, but it's absurd to
say any company is earning "too much" money simply by looking at their
total profits.  You can't tell whether it's too much until you look at
how much the investors had to put up in order to earn those profits.
Typical utility profits are 12 - 14% return on equity.  Microsoft
makes at least twice that, and IBM traditionally has earned 19-20%.

Marvin Sirbu
Carnegie Mellon University
internet:  ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu
bitnet:    ms6b+%andrew@CMCCVB

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (02/02/90)

Marvin Sirbu <ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Typical utility profits are 12 - 14% return on equity.  Microsoft
> makes at least twice that, and IBM traditionally has earned 19-20%.

But don't overlook that that humble 12-14% is guaranteed. No matter
what happens, the company will make that return on equity. And, of
course, this doesn't take into account some of the creative paperwork
the accounting departments at the various utilities (see previous
posts) can generate.

Microsoft, on the other hand, could lose its (investors') shirt
tomorrow, and not one PUC would step in to save it. To some people,
that security is worth many points of return.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

chris@com2serv.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (02/06/90)

In article <3437@accuvax.nwu.edu> ms6b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marvin Sirbu) writes:

> _I_  <chris@com2serv.c2s.mn.org> write:

>> And this doesn't say a thing about the good arguments for reducing
>> telephone rates, since most telephone companies are making obscene
>> profits.  As a regulated utility which should make profits adequate to
>> insure continued investor support to the extent that such is necessary
>> for expansion and rennovation of their facitilities, they need not be
>> the record profit-making enterprises that other companies are.  But in
>> the "upper Midwest", the region consisting of Minnesota, Wisconsin,
>> Iowa, North and South Dakota, guess which companies are in the Top 10
>> most profitable corporation list, year after year?  Uh huh -- all of
>> the regulated utilties: Northwestern Bell, Northern States Power, etc.
>> Something is definitely fishy with that situation.

>for anyone -- you don't 'deserve' to earn any more."  U.S. West -- which
>serves the "upper Midwest" -- has at least $20 billion of invested
>capital in telephone plant.  If you want investors to continue to put
>up money, you have to "pay" them at least what they can earn in
>comparable investments, or about $2 - 2.5 billion per year.  The total
>amount of profits is not the right measure of whether the phone
>companies are earning too much: it's the rate of return on the
>invested capital which you want to look at.  I don't know what U.S.
>West's rate of return is, and I won't defend it, but it's absurd to
>say any company is earning "too much" money simply by looking at their
>total profits.  You can't tell whether it's too much until you look at
>how much the investors had to put up in order to earn those profits.

Well, I could, I suppose, be generous and assume your comments were
meant for other readers who you might suspect as being financially
naive when it comes to the corporate world.  But I'm in a rather nasty
mood, so I'll point out that not only was I well aware of what return
on investment is and its importance, but that the people who did the
ranking for the Upper Midwest companies were even more aware of it.

After all, that's their exact business.  It ought to have been
obvious, although I suppose I could have stated it more clearly by
assuming their were people who might not know better, that the ranking
was not by pure dollars of profit.  That would make it pretty hard for
any but the largest companies to ever make the list.  No, as is
typical for such lists, the ranking was determined by both profit
returned per share of stock, and by percentage of gross revenues.

Now, it's true that neither is an exact correlation to return on
capital equipment, but that's irrelevant to the investors who bought
the stock, since all they care about is the return on the money they
spent on that stock.  And the first measure I mentioned does that
quite nicely.

Furthermore, getting into the return on capital equipment argument is
just opening a whole 'nother can of worms: many investor-owned
regulated utilities engage in a practive of over-building, of
over-investing in capital equipment purely for the reason of forcing
the regulating body for the state to allow them to raise their rates.
Now, I rather doubt that Northern States Power has gotten away with
much of this, since their rates are among the lowest in the nation,
although they do have a pair of very expensive nuclear power plants.
But I know for a fact that an Illinois power company just recently
spent some time (in court, perhaps) defending itself against such
charges.  They've built way over needed capacity.  To say nothing of
cost over-runs on actual needed capacity that just about any utility
could probably get away with.

I really don't know the specifics of Northwestern Bell nee U.S.  West
with regards to how much capital equipment they own and how much they
really need.  But, they have been involved in a lot of accusations of
bribery and conflict of interest lobbying with the Public Utilities
Comission.  Furthermore, the State Attorney General of Minnesota just
won a class action suit against them for excessive rates, and they now
have to pay the consumers back something on the order of $30 million.

Obviously, and it damn well ought to be obvious, if a U.S. West unit
was guilty of that size of fraud, they are not as pure as the driven
snow.  And it's been pretty obvious to me as a consumer: when I moved
here in 1979, my basic monthly rate was something like $7.97 a month.
Within a month or two, it changed to $9.xx a month.  There after,
every year or two, it went up another $2.5x+, until my basic rate,
even though I live in a cheaper zone (one tier closer to downtown), is
presently about $21.xx a month.  Inflation has not been double-digit
the last 10 years, by any means!

Meanwhile, friends and family in other US West areas, like Mountain
Bell, continued to have much lower rates.

It's hard for me to generate much sympathy for regulated monopolies.
If the businesses don't like the restraints on their trade, rates,
profits, whatever, then they can get the hell out of the regulated
monopoly and into a "free" market.  They are regulated precisely
because society has decided that those services are critical
necessities in our culture to which everyone is entitled at as low a
cost as is feasible.  Investor owned utilities are only one way of
providing that service, but through their power, money and lobbying,
they've gotten most people convinced that they are the only way and
thus have been also able to get away with making large fortunes at it.

Having once been a member of a consumer owned utility (often called
coops), I know it does not have to be that way.  Do a little reading
on the Rural Electrification Act.  Read about Lyndon Johnson and the
Sad Irons to get an idea what rural life was like before they were
allowed to have electricity like the city-folk.  Uh huh, those
investor owned utilities did not want to run their lines out into the
country, were the number of customers per mile of wire made it a lot
less lucrative.

The point is, I don't think it's wise for the consumer public to trust
their regulated utilities any further than they have to.  They need to
ride herd on them all the time, question all their investments, plans,
rates and other financials.  We've seen ample evidence in this
newsgroup alone of lots of underhanded schemes designed to bilk the
consumers of money to gain large profits.  I'm not saying they are all
corrupt to the core, nor am I saying they are all doing a lousy job.
But to be complacent is to be stupid.