[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T "Non-Subscriber" Card

zeno%zaphod@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Richard Duffy) (02/06/90)

In article <3161@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Louis Mamakos writes:

>What I really want, though, is just the reverse.  I want a AT&T
>calling card with an account number that *ONLY* works with AT&T.  I
>don't want some slime-ball AOS to intercept/ignore the 10288 prefix
>and complete the call.  I suppose that I'd have to get AT&T to bill me
>directly, and not via the local RBOC.

>Anyone heard of such a thing?  I tried asking the marketing dweeb on
>the other end of the AT&T 800 number, but (as expected) he said that
>such a card didn't exist.

I wish there were a way to deal with uninformed marketing dweebs; the
service does indeed still exist, as described in Patrick's note at the
end of your post.

I live in a graduate residence affiliated with (but not officially
part of) the University of Chicago; each resident has her/his own
telephone and receives a bill just as any ordinary Illinois Bell
customer would.  However, each person's account is in the name of
"Univ. of Chicago, International House, Room ___" and does not mention
the person's name.

Nonetheless, I originally asked AT&T for their usual type of calling
card for my phone here (the kind which is actually issued through the
local telco).  They said it would take up to 5 weeks.  When it got to
be 7 weeks, still no card, I called back and they said they had no
record of such a request, but would put through a new one.

Many weeks and phone calls down the road, they were *finally* able to
confirm that I was not authorized to request a card for this phone
since it is not in my name.  (In most ways I have the highest regard
for AT&T, but this was a little ridiculous.)  So they told be to call
1-800-CALLATT and ask to apply for a "non-subscriber calling card,"
which would be *billed separately by AT&T* and is not linked to any
particular telephone number I may have.

I'm happy to report that, despite a somewhat disconcerting amount of
information required in the application (including parents' names and
phone numbers!), I got the card fairly promptly.  Best of all, it
seems to be a genuinely AT&T-only card: neither MCI nor Sprint will
bill calls to it.  (The MCI response to this card number is an
amusingly pert "Please dial a *valid* card number now.")  I haven't
tried it on an AOS phone, however.

Perhaps the very best thing about it is that I can keep it no matter
where I move to in the future, and not have to worry about hassles
with getting new numbers for each new local telco I might become a
customer of.  (This presupposes that I'm willing to use AT&T for all
my card-billed inter-LATA calls; that's perfectly fine with me, as
long as I can always gain access to AT&T.  As we know, some outfits
will do their nasty best to deny you such access.  It goes without
saying that I have no official connection whatever to AT&T.)

I only hope they don't discontinue the service; it certainly *is* kept
very low-profile.

Richard Duffy                |  ((lambda (x) (list x (list (quote quote) x)))
Internet: zeno@zaphod.uchicago.edu     (quote (lambda (x)
Voicenet: 312-753-0441       |               (list x (list (quote quote) x)))))