[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Calls at the Speed of Light

boomer@athena.princeton.edu (Don Alvarez) (01/31/90)

In article <3335@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com writes:

>The speed of light in fiber is actually slower than the speed of light
>in coax cable...  (.72 to .76, or some such).  Does anyone know the
>propagation speed for light in copper phone wire, or whatever else is
>used for long lines??

 From the Reference Data for Radio Engineers, published by the Federal
Telephone and Radio Corporation (an associate of the International
Telephone and Telegraph Corporation) Copyright 1943.

		Telephone Transmission Line Data
Characteristics of Standard Types of Aerial Wire Telephone Circuits
			At 1000 Cycles Per Second

Type of Circuit		Gauge	Spacing	Velocity
			(mils)	(in.)	(miles/s)
Non-Pole Pair Physical	165	8	179,000
Non-Pole Pair Side	165	12	179,500
Pole Pair Side		165	18	178,000
Non-Pole Pair Phantom	165	12	177,500
Non-Pole Pair Physical	128	8	178,000
Non-Pole Pair Side	128	12	178,500
Pole Pair Side		128	18	177,000
Non-Pole Pair Phantom	128	12	177,000
Non-Pole Pair Physical	104	8	175,500
Non-Pole Pair Side	104	12	177,000
Pole Pair Side		104	18	175,500
Non-Pole Pair Phantom	104	12	176,000

Notes:	(1) All values are for dry weather conditions and 20Degrees C
	(2) All capacity values assume a line carrying 40 wires
	(3) DP (double petticoat) Insulators assumed for all 12" and 18"
		spaced wires - CS (Special Glass with Steel Pin) Insulators
		assumed for all 8" spaced wires.

Since the slowest speed listed here is about 94% C, and one can only
assume wires have gotten better, not worse in the last 47 years, we
clearly should all drop our fiber optic lines and go back to copper.
(God, how I hate waiting for those 20ms delays!)

-don

nomdenet@venera.isi.edu (02/01/90)

> ... Does anyone know the propagation speed for light in copper phone wire,
> or whatever else is used for long lines??

   Yep:  0 km/sec.  Sorry; I couldn't resist.

A. R. White
nomdenet @ ISI.edu

stanley@uunet.uu.net> (02/02/90)

 In article <3396@accuvax.nwu.edu> Don Alvarez <boomer@athena.princeton.edu>
writes:

> [lots of numbers deleted]

 Plain copper wire has always had a good velocity factor.
Unfortunatley, the coax variant can range anywhere from 95%c to 60%c.
Even within the same type from the same manufacturer. This causes
great havoc when trying to make resonant feedlines (Hmmm, is this the
 .6c RG-58 or the .78c RG-58?)

       nn    m m   RRR   i    John Stanley   N8GFO
      n  n  m m m  R  R       New Methods Research, Inc.
      n  n  m m m  RRR   i    6035 Corporate Drive
      n  n  m m m  R R   i    East Syracuse, NY 13057
      n  n  m m m  R  R  i
    #include <disclaimer.h>   stanley@nmri.com

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (02/04/90)

writes:

>		Telephone Transmission Line Data
>Characteristics of Standard Types of Aerial Wire Telephone Circuits

>			At 1000 Cycles Per Second

>Type of Circuit	Gauge	Spacing	Velocity
>			(mils)	(in.)	(miles/s)
>Non-Pole Pair Physical	165	8	179,000
>Non-Pole Pair Side	165	12	179,500
                                ==
 (etc)

However, 8" or 12" spacing in the air is somewhat different from 0.05"
spacing in a twisted pair.  I thought that those signals traveled at
about 2/3 c.  Actually what we really want is the speed in a coax.

Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts
Telephone: (518) 276-6077;  Telex: 6716050 RPI TROU; Fax: (518) 276-6261
Paper: ECSE Dept., 6026 JEC, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy NY, 12180

tjr@ihnet.att.com (Thomas J Roberts) (02/05/90)

From article <3396@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by boomer@athena.princeton.edu
(Don Alvarez):

> In article <3335@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com writes:
>>  [table of signal velocity characteristics in wire deleted]
> Since the slowest speed listed here is about 94% C, and one can only
> assume wires have gotten better, not worse in the last 47 years, we
> clearly should all drop our fiber optic lines and go back to copper.
> (God, how I hate waiting for those 20ms delays!)

> -don

Of course, the delay in the wire is only a small part of the total
delay.  Every modem (digital communication only) adds >1000
microseconds of delay.  Every analog amplifier adds several to many
microseconds of delay.  Every analog Frequency Division Multiplexor
adds several to many microseconds delay.  Every digital regenerator
adds up to a microsecond of delay.

Every Analog->Digital or Digital->Analog conversion adds up to 125
microseconds of delay. Every time-slot-interchange within a digital
switching system adds 125 microseconds of delay. Every satellite hop
adds >100,000 microseconds of delay (but most of us don't have to
worry about this). After you add all of these up, you then get to
double the delay if you're concerned about the round-trip delay (and
normally that's what is of interest).

Fiber is very different, as the regenerators add only a few to many
nanoseconds of delay, and they are spaced further apart. But the
signal propagation in the fiber is slower than that of a wire or of a
radio channel.

The analysis of round-trip delay on a telecommunications channel is
VERY complicated, and is extremely route dependent. If your path
traverses a packet network, things can get downright bizarre.  Note
that signal delay is only a minor consideration when telcos engineer a
transmission path (cost is the major factor, capacity, ease of
maintenance, and reliability overwhelm delay considerations).

Tom Roberts
att!ihlpl!tjrob

lfd@lcuxlq.att.com (Leland F Derbenwick) (02/06/90)

In article <3396@accuvax.nwu.edu>, boomer@athena.princeton.edu (Don Alvarez)
writes:

> In article <3335@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com writes:
> >The speed of light in fiber is actually slower than the speed of light
> >in coax cable...  (.72 to .76, or some such).  Does anyone know the
> >propagation speed for light in copper phone wire, or whatever else is
> >used for long lines??

> [reference data for a bunch of open-wire lines,
> showing velocity factors about .94 or better]

> Since the slowest speed listed here is about 94% C, and one can only
> assume wires have gotten better, not worse in the last 47 years, we
> clearly should all drop our fiber optic lines and go back to copper.

This is hardly news: open-wire lines always had much better velocity
factors than coax or anything else with a non-air dielectric.  (Basic
EE, or physics if you prefer.)  Of course, open-wire lines have noise
problems and they tend to take up a little more space than you'd
like.

And since the time difference for a 3000 mile span is something less
than 8 ms, who's going to notice?

But the real question is, why does anyone think this is relevant to
current long-distance service?  Yes, once upon a time, when you asked
the operator for a long distance connection, you got a pair of wires
(two pairs?) just for your call.  But it's 1990 now...  Trunk lines
have been _at least_ T1 running over twisted pair for years.  A "long
lines" connection involves a route via some or all of fiber, digital
radio, satellite, or DS3 over coax.  And most of the delay is in the
conversions and regeneration, not in the transmission.  [Except of
course for satellite, which is just a tad more distant.  :-) ]

 -- Speaking strictly for myself,
 --   Lee Derbenwick, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Warren, NJ
 --   lfd@cbnewsm.ATT.COM  or  <wherever>!att!cbnewsm!lfd
 -- (and no, I have nothing to do with "long lines", except to use them!)

m21198@mwvm.mitre.org (John McHarry) (02/07/90)

Tom Roberts wrote in V10 #77 that '...signal delay is only a minor
consideration when telcos engineer a transmission path...'.  While
delay in the cable or fiber may, indeed, be overwhelmed by the other
delay modes he mentioned, the total delay is not a minor
consideration.  It is at the heart of the 'via net loss plan', to
which I am sure he can find a couple references in his company's
library.

Very roughly, the aggravation caused by echo is affected by the round
trip delay.  To partially circumvent this, more loss must be added on
long paths than on short ones.  Also, there are 'cross office delay'
specs on switching equipment to ensure that it doesn't mess up the
scheme.  Sometimes echo suppressors or echo cancellers are required on
very long delay paths.

And that's the news from the bottom of the rain barrel, where no one
has reviewed this but me and my echo...echo...echo...

* John McHarry    (703)883-6100             McHarry@MITRE.ORG *