[comp.dcom.telecom] Fourteen-Digit PINs

Linc Madison <rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu> (02/04/90)

In article <3250@accuvax.nwu.edu> David Tamkin writes:

>John Higdon wrote in TELECOM Digest, Volume 10, Issue 51:

>| Both my Sprint FONCARD and my Pac*Bell calling card have numbers that
>| bear no resemblance to mine or anyone else's phone number.

>When the old GTE Sprint and U.S.Tel merged, US Sprint replaced the old
>nine-digit, no-surcharge travel codes with the fourteen-digit
>surcharged FONcard numbers.  Naturally, they sent me a number
>including my telephone number.  I phoned them screaming: it's bad
>enough that they stick us with a surcharge they never seemed to need
>before, but to reduce my security from nine digits to four was
>unthinkable.

Well, I suppose I have the best of both worlds -- my MCI card number
is based upon a real phone number which I remember very easily, but it
is a phone number now no longer in service.  (I'm not defrauding
anyone -- MCI bills me separately; the base phone number was simply a
convenient device for arriving at a card number.)

Also, there *will* be one way to make sure that calling card numbers
don't match anyone's phone number, even after NNX area codes.  My old
fictitious-number calling cards, from SW Bell, Pac Bell, and US
Sprint, were all of the form NNN-1/0XX-XXXX-XXXX.  This format will
still guarantee a no-match to any phone number.  It also greatly
simplified things for Pac Bell, because your account number with them
is just your phone number, so they had to give me an impossible phone
number for my special card.  Thus, I was (415) 158-XXXX.  For further
security, they replaced "415" with a different NNN on the card number.

   Linc Madison    =    rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

weiland%cell.mot.COM@uunet.uu.net (Michael Weiland) (02/06/90)

When I lived in Chicago, I had a U.S.Sprint FONcard, whose number was
my home number plus a PIN.  I moved (to a suburb) two years ago, and
was surprised that although I had a new number, my FONcard number
remained the same (containing my old number).  Since then, of course,
312 and 708 have split, so the number on my FON card is a different
area code as well as different number.

It's just as well -- as has been pointed out here, why have a phone
number as part of the account number.

apc@cblpe.att.com (Alan P Curtis) (02/08/90)

In article <3547@accuvax.nwu.edu> motcid!weiland%cell.mot.COM@uunet.uu.net
(Michael Weiland) writes:

}... so the number on my FON card is a different
}area code as well as different number.

}It's just as well -- as has been pointed out here, why have a phone
}number as part of the account number.

I wonder what happens when the person WITH that phone number goes and
gets a FON card???

Alan P. Curtis | AT&T Bell Labs | apc@cblpe.ATT.COM