[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Blatant Error of MCI

gcrum%alcor.usc.edu@usc.edu (Gary Crum) (02/05/90)

Well, it happened it me.  About two weeks ago I called MCI (102220,
then transferred to customer service) to ask if calls I make using
10222 need any special account setup.  The respresentative told me no,
and also told me that their calling card was free.  I ordered a
calling card, and explicitly told her not to have my 1+ long distance
carrier switched from AT&T to MCI.  She accepted after asking
questions like "Why would you not want to have MCI as your long
distance carrier?"

Now, my long distance carrier is MCI, as revealed by 1-700-555-4141.

I will call MCI and USWest as necessary to switch back to AT&T, but
can anyone tell me how I can do more, e.g. report the MCI error to the
Public Utilities Commission or help AT&T with their suit against MCI?

Thanks,
Gary

dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu (David C. Troup - Skunk Works : 2600hz) (02/08/90)

In article <3535@accuvax.nwu.edu> gcrum%alcor.usc.edu@usc.edu (Gary Crum)
writes:

>Now, my long distance carrier is MCI, as revealed by 1-700-555-4141.

>I will call MCI and USWest as necessary to switch back to AT&T, but
>can anyone tell me how I can do more, e.g. report the MCI error to the
>Public Utilities Commission or help AT&T with their suit against MCI?

I know the feeling. My girlfriend (who lives in a dorm), needed a
calling card for her room mate's calls home. She got the MCI free
calling card, and explicitly explained to MCI that she did NOT want
MCI and her long distance carrier (after a little coaching from me! :-).

All went fine, and she received her card. I was over to her room a
week later, and noticed her room mate making a couple of calls. I
asked what they're service charge was for using the card itself, and
they didnt know there was one. So I examined ALL of MCI's information
that they sent her, and nowhere was an explanation of the service
charge on card usage.

I called MCI immediatly, and talked to the service representative.
Upon asking her what the card surcharge was, she said she didn't know
if MCI had one! (also, it took me 4 minutes of SILENCE to get an MCI
representative...nice service MCI!) So the Rep transfered me to her
supervisor, and I asked him the same question. He nicely explained the
inter-lata, and long distance rates to me. I kindly asked the
Supervisor to stop beating-around the bush and tell me what their card
surcharge was. He had to look it up!! He finally told me it was 75
cents for EACH call using the card.

Later that night, I wanted to go online with my portable computer, and
I tried to reach Sprint's 800 port on her line. After 3 minutes, I hung
up and dialed again. This time, I waited almost 5 minutes. Thinking
that there was a line problem, I called a TSPS operator to see if she
could place a call for me. "Hello, MCI may I help you?" WHAT!?!?! I
replied, "Excuse me, but what are YOU doing on this line?". "You
selected MCI as your long distance carrier sir." I couldn't believe
what I was hearing! After we ASKED them NOT to be our long distance
carrier.

Well, that was October, it's now Febuary, and my girlfriend just
received ANOTHER bill from MCI. They are threating to take her to
court for not paying her bill. That night, I told the supervisor to
get MCI off of our line as the carrier, and he said it would be done
by next morning. MCI continued to provide long distance service until
January 11th when we had the line disconnected.

So, what can we do?

David C. Troup ! SkunkWorks ! 2600 hz           |"Im going to work at an office
       dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu                   | that has no phone, and
    414-524-6809(dorm)7343(work)                | returning home with sandy
The Surf Rat - DC 12 on Neil Pryde and Seatrend | feet."