[comp.dcom.telecom] 415-694 Changed to 415-604

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (02/07/90)

I have heard that (in 415 area) 694 at Moffett Field (it's a Mountain
View exchange) they ran out of numbers, and thus Moffett Field
converted to 604 on 15 January.  A bit more eyebrow-raising?  How much
do 9 and 0 get confused with each other because of sloppy handwriting?

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (02/09/90)

In article <3624@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>I have heard that (in 415 area) 694 at Moffett Field (it's a Mountain
>View exchange) they ran out of numbers, and thus Moffett Field
>converted to 604 on 15 January.  A bit more eyebrow-raising?  How much
>do 9 and 0 get confused with each other because of sloppy handwriting?

It appears that this isn't the only Department of Defense (DoD)
installation with an exchange conversion like this.  Looking at the
new, December 1989, edition of the DoD phone directory for the
Washington, DC area shows that a bunch of the numbers that were
previously 202-692-xxxx are now 202-602-xxxx.  What will make life
even more interesting is that, in this phone book, only _some_, but
_not_ all, of the 692-xxxx numbers were converted over to 602-xxxx.

The Autovon exchange for these former 692-xxxx numbers has also
changed from 222-xxxx to 332-xxxx.  As 692- is a DoD only exchange,
this appears to be the addition of a new DoD exchange, with an already
installed, and now somewhat confused, user base.

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil