[comp.dcom.telecom] Breaking The Dial Tone

72307.1502@compuserve.com (GORDON MEYER) (02/06/90)

I have a re-occurring "problem" on my home phone line that I can't
quite figure out.  I use my modem to dial out nightly. At least once a
night (but often 2 or 4 times a night) I have a problem with the
disable call waiting feature (accessed by dialing #70 in my service
area (Centel, suburban Chicago)).  What happens is that my modem will
dial using a #70wXXXXXXX command which is supposed to wait for a
second dial tone before dialing the full number, this way call-waiting
is suspended.  The problem is that sometimes it dials the #70, the
phone gives three short beeps (there's probably a name for this signal
but I'm sort of new to telephony) then a short period of silence until
the second dial tone kicks in.

Now all is expected so far, but when my modem dials the rest of the
string the dial tone continues.  In other words, it's as if the switch
is now deaf to the rest of sequence.  If I try again it usually works
fine...but then later that same night the problem may occur again.

I suppose it could be the modem (a Supra 2400) but I've never had a
problem like this at other locations.  I don't try to disable call
waiting on voice calls so I'm not sure if the same thing happens when
using the phone.  I've reported the problem to Centel but they say
they can't duplicate the problem. (BTW - I reported this a 6:30 pm
Friday night; a repairman called my back at 7 pm to get some more info
from me, and then called me again Sunday morning at 7 am (*#*$#!) to
tell me nothing was found!)

Any suggestions or comments from Telecom readers?

GRM
72307.1502@Compuserve.com

[Moderator's Note: It sounds to me like occassionally the CO is
sending you the 'wrong' dial tone. In the past, when there was very
little they could do about it, everyone could use touch tone, whether
they paid for it or not. Now they can give you dial tone from one
place or another, depending on what you are paying for. Assuming you
are in fact paying for touch tone service, one of the paths extended
to you for your call is either faulty, misprogrammed, or belongs to
rotary dial customers. I will answer in detail later on; but if you
have a second physical line there, I'd suggest next time it happens
you put the line on hold, call Repair and get them to trace it. I'd
venture a guess if someone in the CO can get their hands on it in
time, before it drops, they'll find this to be the case. This is very
definitly a CO problem, and nothing to do with your modem. To prove
this, next time it happens, go off hook with your phone and try your
own touch tone pad. They won't work either! The tones will sound, but
the CO will, as you put it, be 'deaf'.  PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/06/90)

GORDON MEYER <72307.1502@compuserve.com> writes:

> phone gives three short beeps (there's probably a name for this signal
> but I'm sort of new to telephony) then a short period of silence until
> the second dial tone kicks in.

It's called "stutter dial tone". Some systems give this signal when
you pick up the phone to make a call if something is programmed into
the phone, such as call forwarding. The new GTD-5 in Los Gatos does
this.

> Now all is expected so far, but when my modem dials the rest of the
> string the dial tone continues.  In other words, it's as if the switch
> is now deaf to the rest of sequence.  If I try again it usually works
> fine...but then later that same night the problem may occur again.

"Cancel Call Waiting" is what is known as a "temporary Class of
Service change". Telephone switches have class of service tables to
define each and every conceivable type of service provided. The
features you have, the type of local billing (measured or unmeasured),
even the definition of your local calling area are components of the
class of service table entry.

When you pick up the phone, your class of service is fetched before
you even receive dialtone. When you dial #70 you are saying, "Get
another class of service." The one you get is just like your regular
one except that "call waiting" is denied. Now it is possible that for
some reason, in your switch the COS tables are corrupt. The COS you
get when dialing #70 also denies touchtone. If this is sporadic, then
there could be some real programming difficulties in your switch.
These are the worst to get corrected since they usually fall outside
the normal trouble shooting procedures and will ultimately require the
attention of a "real" switchman, or maybe even a programmer.

This COS change on demand can be very powerful. I have a WATS line
that is accessable from all my lines. To invoke it, I dial *14. The
dialtone immediately returns. What has happened is this: not only has
the COS changed, but the phone number as well! It becomes the POTS
number for the Full State Outwats. I have confirmed this by dialing
*14 and then the readback.

> Any suggestions or comments from Telecom readers?

To get this corrected, you will have to be persistent. You will
frequently be told that no trouble was found, mainly because most of
them don't even know what to look for. If you attempt to give them the
explanation above, you will get the telephone equivalent of a blank
stare.

Good luck!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (02/07/90)

In article <3542@accuvax.nwu.edu>72307.1502@compuserve.com (GORDON MEYER)
writes:

>Now all is expected so far, but when my modem dials the rest of the
>string the dial tone continues.  In other words, it's as if the switch
>is now deaf to the rest of sequence.  If I try again it usually works
>fine...but then later that same night the problem may occur again.

Touchtone recognition problems can be caused by the terminal (modem here)
sending too loud a signal.  If the CO is too close, or the equipment is not
to spec, the signals can be distorted by shear loudness.

>[Moderator's Note: It sounds to me like occassionally the CO is
>sending you the 'wrong' dial tone. ...

>one of the paths extended to you for your call is either faulty,
>misprogrammed, or belongs to rotary dial customers.

>I'd suggest next time it happens you put the line on hold, call Repair
>and get them to trace it.

Maybe the second dial tone source is more critical than the first,
not recognizing the tones due to distortion.

Regarding getting a trace from the phone company, wouldn't the dial
tone (and consequently the circuit) be dropped long before you could
explain what you wanted?  Say in 15 seconds?

Vance Shipley

[Moderator's Note: Yes, it probably would be. I suppose if he had a
rotary dial phone on the line, he could grab it, and dial a digit or
two to cut the dial tone; that would buy him some time, but not much.  PT]

dave@cis.ohio-state.edu (Dave Pridgen) (02/09/90)

 From article <3622@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley):

>>[Moderator's Note: It sounds to me like occassionally the CO is
>>sending you the 'wrong' dial tone. ...

> [Moderator's Note: Yes, it probably would be. I suppose if he had a
> rotary dial phone on the line, he could grab it, and dial a digit or
> two to cut the dial tone; that would buy him some time, but not much.  PT]

If he had a rotary dial phone on the line he could call service on it then
the line would be open and they could test it while he was talking to them.

David Pridgen
Unify Corp.
Site Consultant

72307.1502@compuserve.com (GORDON MEYER) (02/09/90)

Thanks to those who have replied to my message about a "deaf" switch
after suspending call-waiting.  I'll take the ammo you have given me
and call the repair service again.  I'll let you know if I get
anywhere with them.

It's been suggested that if the CO is sending me a "rotary only" dial
tone that I could, provided I am quick enough (very quick!), contact
the repair office and get them to trace the line. Well, it occurs to
me that if I have been handed a "rotary only" line I ought to be able
to dial out on that line (via pulse dialing of course). So if it
happens again during business hours I'll run out to the kitchen, put
my GTE phone on pulse, and dial the repair service and tell them that
the line I am currently using has a problem.  Well, it's worth a shot
anyway. :)

GRM

72307.1502@Compuserve.com / GEnie and DELPHI: GRMEYER

[Moderator's Note: But the part that gives the dial tone does not
stick around for the entire call; if it did, it would be a breeze to
trace it. The dial tone does its thing, then leaves.  PT]