[comp.dcom.telecom] Rochester Telephone: Only a Monopoly Could Survive This Way

Jeremy Grodberg <jgro@apldbio.com> (02/09/90)

In article <3630@accuvax.nwu.edu> jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
writes:

>Also, I finally got a straight answer from the droids at Rochester Tel
>(after talking to 5 [count 'em, five] people). They offer call
>forwarding on busy to a fixed number (i.e., the number can only be
>changed from the CO). I can't belive that only one out of five reps
>knew about this service.

See, I told you Roch Tel was worthless.  I've gotten much better
information about the Roch Tel's service options from AT&T Long
Distance Special Services than I have from anyone at Roch Tel.  When I
wanted a long distance special event line (a radio-broadcast quality
line to carry coverage of a basketball tournament) AT&T told me they
could set it up in 3 days anywhere in the country, but that wouldn't
do me much good, because Roch Tel would take a week to connect AT&T's
long line to my phone.

Roch Tel confirmed this, and we had to cancel plans to cover the
tournament, since we would only have 3-5 days notice of where the next
game would be (depending on who won in each round), and we couldn't
afford to have lines installed everywhere.

There oughta be a law about this....

Jeremy Grodberg
jgro@apldbio.com    "Beware: free advice is often overpriced!"