[comp.dcom.telecom] Transferring a Call With Three-Way Calling

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (02/07/90)

In article <3525@accuvax.nwu.edu> gish@host.NLM.NIH.GOV (Warren Gish) writes:

>Perhaps over a year ago, someone mentioned a couple of touch-tone
>sequences that would toggle on-and-off the Call Waiting feature.  I
>have an interest in this as well.  Does anyone know what these
>touch-tone sequences are?

>[Moderator's Note: Surely. Preface the number you dial with *70, and
>call waiting will be suspended until you replace the receiver. Any

This is great!  I just tried it here and it works.  I am constantly
amazed at the intelligence level Bell Canada assumes I have.  They
have carefully hid this VERY useful feature from me to avoid confusing
me!

Actually, on second thought, they probably couldn't find a way to
tariff it separately! :)

On a similiar subject, does anyone know if you can TRANSFER a call
with "three way calling"?  (defined as: A calls B, B puts A "on hold"
and calls C, B disconnects any time after dialling C, A is connected
to C).  I'm particularly interested in Bell Canada's version of this
feature, but I'd like to know how others work.

Vance Shipley

[Moderator's Note: So far as I have seen, it cannot be done EXCEPT
under Starline/Intellidial/Centrex by whatever name. Ooops! This is a
family Digest; I shouldn't have said that nasty word, should I, JH?  I
can do what you are asking on my lines here with Starline, but under
regular three way calling, when the middle-man disconnects, all drop
off.  PT]

c186aj@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (02/09/90)

In article <3623@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>[Moderator's Note: So far as I have seen, it cannot be done EXCEPT
>under Starline/Intellidial/Centrex by whatever name. Ooops! This is a
>family Digest; I shouldn't have said that nasty word, should I, JH? I
>can do what you are asking on my lines here with Starline, but under
>regular three way calling, when the middle-man disconnects, all drop
>off.  PT]

About 5 years ago, I had residential Centrex from Pacific Bell (then
called Premiere 2/6 (it's now Commstar II, John?)).  It did NOT
provide call transfer.  If you invoked 3 way calling and then hung up,
all parties would be disconnected.  I don't know if there was a
difference just because it was residential service, though.

[Moderator's Note: And the first version of IBT's Starline likewise
did not offer this, but the later version allows transfer of a call to
anywhere -- on your premises or off-premises.   PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/09/90)

Steve Forrette <c186aj@cory.berkeley.edu> writes:

> About 5 years ago, I had residential Centrex from Pacific Bell (then
> called Premiere 2/6 (it's now Commstar II, John?)).  It did NOT
> provide call transfer.  If you invoked 3 way calling and then hung up,
> all parties would be disconnected.  I don't know if there was a
> difference just because it was residential service, though.

It's a little embarrasing since I have Commstar II (formerly Premiere
2/6). This is an ultraweenie permutation of Centrex. It was created by
setting up little Centrex subgroups in the regular Centrex ports of
the switch. It is more expensive than regular Centrex, but can be
applied to residential lines (as opposed to regular Centrex which is
strictly business).

Pac*Bell's inferior (well, what would you expect?) manifestation of
this beast only allows transferring calls between "extensions", not to
numbers outside the group. To enforce this, you must transfer using
the "intercom" code. For instance, if I want to transfer you to
another line in the house, I flash the hook switch, dial #26, then
hang up. If I used the directory number of the line rather than that
intercom code, the connection would drop.

In some switches, it is possible to fool the CO into thinking all
numbers in the switch are intercom numbers, thereby enabling
transferring of calls to any number in the immediate local area that
are served by the same switch as the Commstar user. Da phone company
would rather you not know about that, however.

> [Moderator's Note: And the first version of IBT's Starline likewise
> did not offer this, but the later version allows transfer of a call to
> anywhere -- on your premises or off-premises.   PT]

I understand this will be an offering bundled with the CLASS features
that will be offered to Pac*Bell subscribers somewhere around Stardate
6077.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !