[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Reason to Run A Second Line to Your Bathroom

wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin) (02/05/90)

The following may appear to be unrelated to Telecom, but Trust Me;
there is a Telecom tie-in further on down...  Ah, the wonders of
modern science...

The following is on page 89 of the Jan '90 issue of Audio/Video
International, a consumer-electronics trade journal:

INFRARED REMOTE HIGHLIGHTS NEW, AUTOMATED TOILETS  by Robert Angus

Toilets normally aren't part of the professional interest of consumer
electronics retailers. But then, two new models from Toto, Japan's
largest manufacturer of such products, aren't your ordinary
run-of-the-mill models. For a mere $1725, the Toto GX II (didn't know
that toilets carry model numbers these days, did you?) can be yours,
complete with infrared remote control and digital clock-timer built
in. If you can manage without the timer, you may be interested in the
GX I, a bargain at $992.

The GX I and GX II are the latest in a fast-growing field of
electronic toilets which includes Panasonic and Sanyo, among others.
Panasonic recetly introduced its line in Germany and talks about
making the equipment available in the United States in 1990.

Actually, there are two types of electronic toilets available: the
Toto, Sanyo, and Panasonic models, whose primary features are oriented
toward user comfort and convenience, and a *diagnostic* model marketed
as part of a complete house by Misawa Homes, Japan's leading
manufacturer of modular housing. The Misawa model offers many of the
same features as the others (heated seat, retractable douche
adjustable for men and women, etc.) but performs some unique health
tests such as urinalysis. The toilet is connected directly to the home
phone line; if it finds any medical problem, it dials the family
physician immediately and files a report. [See, I TOLD you there was a
Telecom tie-in! :-) -WM]

But let's go back to the top of the line, which this year is the GX
II.  Its features include automatic lifting of both seats by an
infrared remote control or the touch of a button on the remote control
panel, a heating coil in the padded seat which can be preset with the
aid of the clock/timer, the retractable (and adjustable) douche/water
jet cleaner (not only the focus of the stream, but also its strength
and intensity are adjustable from a fine mist to a strong jet. The
water temperature, of course, is controlled as well). When pressure is
removed from the seat and the water jet has accomplished its task, a
soothing (and drying) blast of warm air emanates from under the seat,
and with it, a spray of disinfectant/deoderant. In order to keep
children from watering the bathroom floor when playing with the remote
control, there's a clear plastic shield which allows the
water-squirting nozzle to do its thing harmlessly, in plain view.

***End of item***

My wife accuses me of having the seat wired in the batroom, because
the phone tends to ring just when she sits down. Now I can do it for
real! :-) I can just program it to call our own number instead of the
doctor's...

We were discussing the large cost difference between the GX I and GX
II; it seems too much to just be a timer. Maybe the II is a
two-seater? (The item does mention "both seats" -- don't know Japanese
toilet design so maybe there are not two seats on top of each other
there... :-) Also I find the idea of needing to control the toilet
from far enough away to have to use a remote control to be intriguing,
to say the least. There are some porn stars that might need that
feature, maybe...

Technology marches on...

Regards, Will

William Degnan <wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org> (02/10/90)

In a message of <Feb 10 00:12> Will Martin writes:

 WM>The toilet is connected directly to the home
 WM>phone line; if it finds any medical problem, it dials the family
 WM>physician immediately and files a report. [See, I TOLD you there was a
 WM>Telecom tie-in! :-) -WM]

Yeah, but as they asked about ISDN, is it loop-start or ground-start?

Regards, Bill

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
Communications Network Solutions | William.Degnan@telemail.com
P.O. Box 9530, Austin, TX 78766  | voice: 512 323-9383
William Degnan -- via The Q Continuum (FidoNet Node 1:382/31)
UUCP: ...!rpp386!tqc!39!wdegnan
ARPA: wdegnan@f39.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG