[comp.dcom.telecom] Last Laugh! Noms de Guerre

jas@sun.com (Jim Shankland) (02/02/90)

In article <3360@accuvax.nwu.edu> julian@bongo.uucp (julian macassey) writes:

>	If you really think that you are so wonderful that the great
>unwashed should not be able to call you, there is a cheap and useful
>solution: List your phone under a nom de guerre. Yes, just tell the
>telco that you want the name in the phone book to be Ivan Boesky or
>Jim Bakker....

Two such entries from the San Francisco white pages (last name first
for both):

	Wheldone Rumproast IV
	Wong Numba

jas

cramer@ames.arc.nasa.gov> (02/06/90)

In article <3445@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rtech!llama.rtech.UUCP!jas@sun.com (Jim
Shankland) writes:

> In article <3360@accuvax.nwu.edu> julian@bongo.uucp (julian macassey) writes:

# #	If you really think that you are so wonderful that the great
# #unwashed should not be able to call you, there is a cheap and useful
# #solution: List your phone under a nom de guerre. Yes, just tell the
# #telco that you want the name in the phone book to be Ivan Boesky or
# #Jim Bakker....

# Two such entries from the San Francisco white pages (last name first
# for both):

# 	Wheldone Rumproast IV
# 	Wong Numba

This is California.  Those may not be pseudonyms -- they could be
their legal names.  (It's even possible those are the names on their
birth certificates -- you should see some of the acid-induced names
from the 1960s out here).

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Democracy is freedom only when the majority are tolerant -- which is never.
Disclaimer?  You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (02/06/90)

Well this one got me interested. For complete privacy I went and
had my phones unlisted with noms de guerre out of a book by John
Brunner (you figure out which one). They tried to talk me out of it but
eventually took the order when I insisted upon it.

Cheers,

Kelly

PS: Unlisted under a pseudonym... now that's real privacy....  hope
the Haines people have fun!!

[Moderator's Note: A phreak phriend here in Chicago told me he does
the same thing. He has non-pub service under the name of an
author/anthropologist who has been dead a few years. No, not Margaret
Meade!  You ask DA for that name, the response is it is non-pub. You
ask for his name, there is no record at all! He's had it that way for
a dozen years with the same number. He pointed out that if/when anyone
comes to his door asking for that person, its an immediate tip-off the
visitor is up to no good. (wink! wink! smirk!). He says he has been
able to avoid Haines since 1971.  PT]

julian@bongo.uucp (julian macassey) (02/07/90)

In article <3443@accuvax.nwu.edu>, SKASS@beta writes:

> julian macassey <julian@bongo.uucp> writes:

> >           If you really think that you are so wonderful that the great
> >   unwashed should not be able to call you, there is a cheap and useful
> >   solution: List your phone under a nom de guerre. Yes, just tell the
> >   telco that you want the name in the phone book to be Ivan Boesky or
> >   Jim Bakker.

> Seriously, will the telco do this for you?

	Yes, the telco does this for me on a residential line. It does
it for my girlfriend who has a residential line. Some "Nom de Guerres"
are creative and some are dreary and unimaginative things like
mother's maiden name. I personally use the name of an obscure African
dictator. And worse is yet to come, see below:

(Jim Shankland) writes:

> Two such entries from the San Francisco white pages (last name first
> for both):

> 	Wheldone Rumproast IV
> 	Wong Numba

	In the 818 area code (La Canada neighborhood) phone book are
the folowing entries (last name first for both):

	Black Jesus
	White Jesus

	Yup, they are listed so if you don't believe me, you can call
information -:)

Yours,

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  {ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

len@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (02/09/90)

 From article <3626@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by julian@bongo.uucp (julian macassey):
>> 	Wheldone Rumproast IV
>> 	Wong Numba

> 	Black Jesus
> 	White Jesus

> 	Yup, they are listed so if you don't believe me, you can call
> information -:)

For years we had our phone listed under our cat's name, Mehitabel
DeCatte.

We got mail for her, a playboy card, and many phone calls.  When she
was called, we would always say that Mehitable was out on the lawn,
chasing mice.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine                  e-mail len@evax.cs.uwm.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958 |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

stearns@apple.com (Bryan Stearns) (02/09/90)

I used to be listed under my name spelled backwards ("Snraets,
Nayrb"), but when I moved, the friendly phone company folks refused to
let me keep such a "frivolous" listing. So I asked to speak to a
supervisor, who refused to let me keep such a "frivolous" listing. So
I called the CPUC, who said that they don't have jurisdiction over the
white pages, and the phone company can refuse any listing they don't
like.

Bryan Stearns                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
Macintosh Finder Group                    10500 North DeAnza Blvd, M/S 27-AJ
stearns@apple.com                                        Cupertino, CA 95014
{nsc,sun,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!stearns     "Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"

travis@douglass.cs.columbia.edu (Travis Lee Winfrey) (02/09/90)

In article <3615@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>He pointed out that if/when anyone comes to his door asking for that
>person, its an immediate tip-off the visitor is up to no good. (wink!
>wink! smirk!). He says he has been able to avoid Haines since 1971.
>PT]

Who or what is "Haines"??

Arpa:	travis@cs.columbia.edu	Usenet: rutgers!columbia!travis

[Moderator's Note: 'Haines' is the Haines Directory Company, a/k/a the
'criss-cross book'. Haines, along with other similar publishers such
as Dressler's, R.L. Polk, Donnelly, and the City Publishing Company of
Independence, KS publishes cross reference directories which are just
telephone books arranged in street number order or telephone number
order rather than alphabetical. So walking down the street, I wonder
who lives in that nice house next door....the local criss-cross book
'addressokey' section tells me that 1234 Any Street is occupied by the
Smith family, and the phone number is 123-4567.  Or, I have a message
to call Mr. Smith at the number 123-4567. I never heard of him; who is
he? Before I call, I consult the 'telokey' portion of the criss-cross:
123-4567 is listed as the Smith Collection Agency, 1234 Any Street.

Very useful books, the criss-cross directories, although I don't like
being listed in them myself.... :)     PT]

David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> (02/10/90)

>>Who or what is "Haines"??

>[Moderator's Note: 'Haines' is the Haines Directory Company, a/k/a the
>'criss-cross book'...
>Very useful books, the criss-cross directories, although I don't like
>being listed in them myself.... :)     PT]

Gee, Patrick, as a bill collector I thought you would LOVE Haines, not
try to subvert it..

I have several cures to the problem.  The first is a non_pub
*address*.  I have yet to be charged extra for this service by any
(BOC or IOC) company. With such, the upside_down books seem to ignore
me, even in the number section. The second is of course the old alias
question. For many years I was listed as Ernst Stavro Blofelt. Prior
to that, I used Bela Oknyx. My current one? Well, let's say that's
left as an exercise for the student... If you do find out, enjoy it.

A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM
Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/11/90)

David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> writes:

> I have several cures to the problem.  The first is a non_pub
> *address*.  I have yet to be charged extra for this service by any
> (BOC or IOC) company. With such, the upside_down books seem to ignore
> me, even in the number section.

Not only the upside down books seem to ignore me with no address
listed, but so do the "neighborhood" books published by GTE and
others.  The Willow Glen/South San Jose Neighborhood Phone Book has
never had my name in it, yet I live squarely in the area covered by
the publication and have for twenty-two years with a listed telephone.
I have never been charged for the lack of address in the listing, nor
for any of the unlisted numbers at my residence.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !