[comp.dcom.telecom] Make Busy Device

Roger Fajman <RAF@cu.nih.gov> (02/10/90)

I have a BBS running on a 10 line rotary, which is most of a small
Centrex.  In order to minimize the consequences of a hung port, it has
Uniform Call Distribution (aka circular hunt).  This is very
important, as the system runs unattended most of the time.  Thus
there's no one there to reset a port that doesn't answer.

For various reasons, I occasionally want to make either all or some of
the lines busy.  Right now, each for each line there is make busy
switch provided by the telco (C&P of Maryland).  Each switch has a
circuit of its own going back to the central office, which is fairly
expensive.

What I would like to know is if there is a device I can get that will
provide the same make busy capability without the circuit to the
central office?  If there is a call in progress, I want it to be
allowed to complete.  I would prefer to buy something rather than
build, but it can't be too expensive or I won't save money.

I'm also interested in alternatives to Centrex that could do this job,
including the circular hunt as well as the make busy.

I am aware that a modem using the Hayes command set can be told to
take a line off hook, but this does not work in there is no modem
connected.  It also requires cooperation of the BBS software if a call
is in progress -- the software must take the line off hook at the end
of the call.  In my configuration, that is possible, but not very
convenient.

Roger Fajman
RAF@NIHCU  (BITNET)
RAF@CU.NIH.GOV  (Internet)

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (02/12/90)

In article <3708@accuvax.nwu.edu>, RAF@cu.nih.gov (Roger Fajman) writes:

> For various reasons, I occasionally want to make either all or some of
> the lines busy.  Right now, each for each line there is make busy
> switch provided by the telco (C&P of Maryland).  Each switch has a
> circuit of its own going back to the central office, which is fairly
> expensive.

You can make a line busy by taking it off-hook.  The telco will send
you ROH tone, and may get annoyed if you do it a lot, however.  If
you use a switch that connects a resistor of about 600 ohms between
Tip and Ring, it probably won't affect a call in progress (may drop
the audio level a bit).  When the call ends, the line will appear to
remain off-hook, and the CO will just hunt around it.

Dave Levenson			Voice: (201 | 908) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave