[comp.dcom.telecom] Remote Broadcast Lines

gutierre@paxman.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Gutierrez) (02/11/90)

jgro@apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg) writes in Vol 10, Iss. 89, message 4 of 14
> In article <3630@accuvax.nwu.edu> jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko)
> writes:

> Roch Tel confirmed this, and we had to cancel plans to cover the
> tournament, since we would only have 3-5 days notice of where the next
> game would be (depending on who won in each round), and we couldn't
> afford to have lines installed everywhere.

> There oughta be a law about this....

No law, just alternate ways of getting around this.

It's unfortunate that you can't use celluar phones for 'Remote
Broadcast' without an STA (Special Temp. Authority) (does the FCC plan
on changing it's mind about this soon???), but you can use some device
made by Wenger (or was it Cetec?) that basically companded an audio
line, 'split' it in 1/2, and used 2 normal voice grade telco lines
(read: regular telephone calls), and provided 7.5khz of bandwidth at
the distant end.  Mutual used this for remote Larry King shows. the
only problem was disconnections of the phone line (I seem to remember
Mutual using 4 lines, the other 'pair' being a backup). All you needed
was 2 POTS lines at the remote site.

But in your case, Blockhead-Tel....err...Rochester Tel probably still
needed 3-4 days lead for the POTS lines also, unless there was some
pay phones near by that had accessable demarcs or even some exposed
drops.....naaaahhhh, that's 'illegal'.........

There's also satellite flight-packs that come in about 3 large suitcases
and a small dish (3-4 feet), and then you can shoot up a 15khz SCPC line into
the sky onto a Ku bird. 'Wolfman' Jack did that for XTRA-AM in Baja California
for a while.

The point being made here is that there ARE alternatives nowadays, and
the telcos need to be made aware that people can and WILL use them if
they keep this type of attitude. I will readly admit that the lead
times for ordering and installation of long-line audio circuts has
dropped, but not fast enough to keep up with technology.

   Robert Gutierrez  -  NASA Ames Research/NSI Network Operations.

bei@cs.utexas.edu> (02/12/90)

In article <3738@accuvax.nwu.edu> Robert Gutierrez <gutierre@paxman.arc.nasa.
gov> writes:

>It's unfortunate that you can't use celluar phones for 'Remote
>Broadcast' without an STA (Special Temp. Authority) (does the FCC plan
>on changing it's mind about this soon???), but you can use some device
>made by Wenger (or was it Cetec?) that basically companded an audio
>line, 'split' it in 1/2, and used 2 normal voice grade telco lines
>(read: regular telephone calls), and provided 7.5khz of bandwidth at
>the distant end.

Back in 1982, Comrex had a frequency extender that got 5khz flat
response, more or less, out of a regular voice grade line.  There were
a couple of models, but each was basically an audio mixer for three or
five inputs, for a few mics and a cart machine.  I'm sure that it's
old hat by now.
             Bob Izenberg [ ] attctc,rpp386,cs.utexas.edu!puzzle!bei