[comp.dcom.telecom] Atlanta Airport and AOS Sleeze

David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> (02/12/90)

What's the situation nowadays @ Atlanta's airport? While there, I
tried the one armed bandits out. I seemed to be able to get through to
MA and MCI via 950-xxxx, but when I dialed, the handset muted and I
could hear DTMF faintly as it forwarded the call somewhere. I did not
make any chargeable calls.

A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM
Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

jgd@rsiatl.uucp (02/13/90)

In comp.dcom.telecom you write:

>What's the situation nowadays @ Atlanta's airport? While there, I
>tried the one armed bandits out. I seemed to be able to get through to
>MA and MCI via 950-xxxx, but when I dialed, the handset muted and I
>could hear DTMF faintly as it forwarded the call somewhere. I did not
>make any chargeable calls.

This fine service is brought to you via the fine services of the
National Telephone Services AOS.  I wrote the software that runs their
switch.  I currently have a lawsuit pending against them for, among
other things, fraud, kidnapping, assault, RICO violations and so on.
Need I say more?

PS: NEVER but NEVER make a chargeable call from the Atlanta Airport.
If you do, expect to see >$5.00 for the first minute.  Also expect to
see an extra minute or two added to your call.  If that happens, the
Attorney General of Tennessee would probably like to talk to you.

John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress-
Radiation Systems, Inc. | men than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply
Atlanta, Ga             | provide broker services for their customers.
emory!rsiatl!jgd        |  - Dr. W Williams |                **I am the NRA**

carols@husc6.harvard.edu (Carol Springs) (02/13/90)

In article <3755@accuvax.nwu.edu> David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
writes:

>What's the situation nowadays @ Atlanta's airport? While there, I
>tried the one armed bandits out. I seemed to be able to get through to
>MA and MCI via 950-xxxx, but when I dialed, the handset muted and I
>could hear DTMF faintly as it forwarded the call somewhere. I did not
>make any chargeable calls.

When I had to phone my boss's house in Massachusetts from the Atlanta
airport on December 23, I decided to use my work-account NET calling
card for billing convenience.  After a couple of rings, I heard on the
line something resembling a whisper from several yards away.  After
determining (by hello-helloing) that there was no way I could make out
any words, I apologized to the silence just in case, moved to the next
phone over, and dialed Sprint's 800 number.  I successfully used my
FONCARD and was later billed by Sprint for the eight-minute call.

When the first call showed up (of course) on my local phone bill, the
charge was $2.38 for one minute (on a Saturday morning), courtesy of
National Telephone Services, Inc.  I phoned their 800 number to have
the charge credited, which the nervous-sounding NTS employee was able
to do within a few minutes.  I was being very polite, but she was
breathing heavily and sounded almost frightened -- new hire, perhaps.
She explained to me that I had probably let the phone ring a little
too long; I explained to her that this wasn't the problem; everything
was settled with a minimum of fuss and entirely too much trouble for
the silly two bucks.  This was, believe it or not, my first first-hand
experience with a bad AOS charge.  With any luck it will be my last.

Anyhow, in answer to David Lesher's question, Sprint 800 calls work
with no rerouting on Atlanta airport phones, or at least those phones
whose default long-distance "service" is listed as NTS.

Carol Springs                      carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com