[comp.dcom.telecom] Pacific Bell Response To CPUC Rate Decision

curtisg@sco.com (Curtis Galloway) (02/20/90)

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>Curtis Galloway <curtisg@sco.com> quotes from Pac*Bell Bill Insert:

>[in addition to the usual stroking--this:]
>>   o We will share any earnings above a certain level

>And if you *ever* see Pac*Bell admitting that it earned 16.5, I'll be
>watching for the second coming. Before that would happen, they would
>hose down the insides of 100 COs with an acid solution, and buy new
>equipment from Pacific Telesis at inflated prices. They would be
>totally stupid to let Pac*Bell earn that much and have to give it all
>away to the suckers, oops, I mean ratepayers.

OK, I can see that.  But as a standard residential customer, does the
CPUC decision really change the bills I will pay?  Monopoly service
rates are still regulated by the CPUC.  If I never buy Centrex or
yellow pages ads, I won't notice much of a difference.  Right?  (Of
course, if Pac Bell ends up inflating prices for business users, we
all pay for it.)

By the way -- wasn't part of the agreement for Pacific Bell to
eliminate the touch-tone fee on local bills?  As of January, I was
still being billed for it.

Curt

``Dangerous'' is the word Miss Manners would use about doilies.
			--Judith Martin