[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T System 25 Experience Sought

jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (02/07/90)

In looking for a PBX that offers CPC on analog ports and the ability
to send long touch-tones from electronic sets, I find that I am left
looking at only one switch for my application: the AT&T System 25.

But I feel funny about buying a switch that I have never used, since a
lot of the look-and-feel of using a particular PBX can not be conveyed
in a brochure.  The un-shoulderable handset bothers me for instance.

So I am looking for any experiences, good or bad, from an end-user or
administrative point of view.  Thanks...

P.S.  AT&T, in another display of their marketing savvy, has not returned
	any of my calls regarding the purchase of this switch.

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (02/10/90)

In article <3601@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jimmy@icjapan.info.com (Jim Gottlieb)
writes:

> In looking for a PBX that offers CPC on analog ports and the ability
> to send long touch-tones from electronic sets, I find that I am left
> looking at only one switch for my application: the AT&T System 25.

> But I feel funny about buying a switch that I have never used, since a
> lot of the look-and-feel of using a particular PBX can not be conveyed
> in a brochure.  The un-shoulderable handset bothers me for instance.

> So I am looking for any experiences, good or bad, from an end-user or
> administrative point of view.  Thanks...

System 25's voice features evolved from those of the Horizon(tm)
system, AT&T's original electronic PBX for small business.

It supports Tip/Ring as well as proprietary multi-button electronic
sets.  These are the same sets that are supported by the Merlin(tm)
systems.  (They are different from the similarly-packaged digital sets
supported by Systems 75 and 85).

The handset's receiver is the same size as that of the 2500 set.  Only
the mouthpiece is smaller.  Shouldering the handset shouldn't be any
harder than it was with 2500 sets.  Headsets are also offered for
these sets.

Enhancements beyond Horizon include the ability to switch data at 9600
bps, the ability to interconnect with the Starlan network, and the
Integrated Solution(tm) - an external applications processor that
looks a lot like a UNIX-PC, and provides voicemail, automated
attendant, advanced switch administration, and a call-accounting
application.

As far as I know, the touch-tones sent by the multi-button electronic
sets, like those generated by Merlin with the same sets, are
fixed-length, about 100 msec.  The duration and inter-character
interval are administerable, but do not depend upon how long the user
holds down the dial pad key.  (This last may not apply to all versions
of the product.)

Dave Levenson			Voice: (201 | 908) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (02/11/90)

For that matter you'd do well to look into the SX-200 by Mitel which
gives you all that the System 25 does and more:

ISDN compatible. Greater expansion. The choice of proprietary Voice
Mail/Auto Attendant of a good 3rd party manufacturer like Active Voice's
Repartee. Also the choice of a more full featured call accounting
system at a better price.  When it comes right down to it, it's not
too difficult to do better than AT&T, but it's not so easy to do
better than Mitel.

    --- "What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?"
                          Elvis Costello

clements@bbn.com (02/20/90)

In Telecom-Digest: Volume 10, Issue 107, message 2 of 5,
vances@xenitec.UUCP writes:

>The original posting stated that a requirement was CPC (Calling Party
>Control) on the 2500 (analog single line) ports. [... e.g., to cut off an
>answering machine...]
>Anyone care to comment?
>
>vances@xenitec.on.ca

Just another data point on this.  I commented a while back that
I wanted the same thing on the Panasonic KX-T61610 and that I wanted
a command from a smart-phone to force this action.  Now that the
tech manual has come in, I looked at the circuit for the station
interface and there is no capability to do this in the hardware.
The station is always powered from either the talk-battery generator
or the ring generator, both of which supply DC.  No way to generate
a CPC pulse.  Too bad.  (You can flash the CO lines, but not the inside
stations.)

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com