[comp.dcom.telecom] ABC TV Feed Via Phone Number in NYC

gutierre@oblio.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Gutierrez) (02/20/90)

nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov (Bill Nickless) writes:

> In article <3738@accuvax.nwu.edu> Robert Gutierrez
> <gutierre@paxman.arc.nasa.gov> writes:

> > It's unfortunate that you can't use cellular phones for 'Remote Broadcast'
> > without an STA (Special Temp. Authority).

> I listen to WGN here in Chicago, and they seem to do this regularly.
> (Patrick: On the "Al and/or Ed show.")  Last December a listener in an
> automobile called the show and asked for directions to a restaurant in
> downtown Chicago.....

> Is this the type of situation where an STA would be needed?

Technically, if you follow the letter of the FCC reg in question, yes,
but this was a call-in talk show, and it is understood that these are
semi-unsolicited calls via cellular, and it's not a point the FCC would
(or even could???) enforce.

It seems that as far as the FCC is concerned, you need a license if
your remote broadcast is 'in the air' between the announcer and the
commercial transmitting site (I can't remember the exact regulation
unfortunately). Why the FCC made a point of enforcing celluar remote-
broadcast transmissions is beyond me. Protecting somebody's
intrests???  The problem is that licensing such on a regular basis
requires filing forms listing all the celluar frequencies (along with
transmitting sites, power, etc.) and specific permission of the
permanant holder of the celluar license in question (and they'd rather
you use their more expensive land voice circuts). There's got to be
something wrong here.

I certanly hope that the Ku-band satellite links become more popular
especially since they're getting smaller (just like TV news remotes),
Then the telco-celluar monopoly will all of a sudden ask the FCC to
revise that part of the regulation so that they can use celluar phones
to do remote-broadcasts.

Some stations could care less about regulations anyway, and are doing
news stories via headphone-equipped Novatel handheld celluar phones,
since you can't tell on the air anyway where they're talking from...
They just keep the phone tucked in their jacket pocket.

   Robert Gutierrez - NASA Science Internet Network Operations
   Moffett Field, California.
   "Home of the first N0X prefix in the Bay Area (604)."

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (02/21/90)

In article <4058@accuvax.nwu.edu> HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff,
U. of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:

>Years ago I had a phone number in NYC that allowed you to listen to
>the feed from ABC TV.  Does anybody know if this number still exists,
>and more importantly, what it is?  Thanks.

No idea on the number, but the use is, probably, an IFB. That allows
remote field crews to call in and get the feed that winds up in the
ear of the talent...with a catch...it's interruptable by the director
in the control room to give cues. Also, if they're far enough away
that the incoming feed is by satellite, the IFB is dialed up (usually
via US Sprint these days to assure fiber-optics) so that the feed
going into the talent's ear is in real-time, that is, without the
262ms delay caused by a satellite feed.

Most networks and large TV operations have a bank of automatically
answered IFB feeds available. The crew calls, and then sets up on
another line.

 *  John Wheeler - Unix/C Systems Designer/Programmer/Administrator/etc...    *
 * Turner Entertainment Networks * Superstation TBS * TNT * Turner Production *
 *           ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw    (404) TBS-1421               *
 * "the opinions expressed in this program are not necessarily those of TBS"  *

stone@nbc1.ge.com (Anthony Stone) (02/23/90)

Steve Huff mentions a phone number in New York which answers with ABC
TV program audio. This is most certainly one of their many IFB
(Interruptible FoldBack) lines which are used so that talent and
interview guests can hear questions being posed to them during remote
[live] broadcasts.  Producers can also interrupt the audio with cues
like "the tape isn't ready, go on to the next story."

If the interview is via satellite, then "mix-minus" audio is sent.
This is an output of the audio board which includes all audio sources
except the satellite feed. Otherwise the person being interviewed
would hear his voice in his earphone a half second later. Very
disconcerting, believe me! (You can simulate this with a 3-head audio
tape recorder.  Listen to the playback head while recording into a
microphone.)

No, I won't give out our IFB numbers!  :-)

Anthony Stone			NBC News Graphics, New York, NY
stone@nbc1.ge.com		212-664-2206