[comp.dcom.telecom] CLI in CA

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (02/21/90)

There is a rumor floating around out here in California that CNN aired
a special on Caller ID this weekend, claiming that CLI was going to be
in California this year, and probably the first half of this year.

The last I heard on the subject here on c.d.t, Pac*Bell was waiting
for constitutionality issues to be resolved elsewhere before bringing
CLI into California.

Does anyone have the straight skinny on CLI in CA?

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/24/90)

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:

> There is a rumor floating around out here in California that CNN aired
> a special on Caller ID this weekend, claiming that CLI was going to be
> in California this year, and probably the first half of this year.

My inside sources tell me that CLASS features will not appear in
Pac*Bell territory until at least last quarter 1990 or maybe first
quarter 1991.

In any event, you can be assured that the features will appear in
southern California long before they are offered elsewhere in the
state. I don't expect to see any of it here for a few more years.

> The last I heard on the subject here on c.d.t, Pac*Bell was waiting
> for constitutionality issues to be resolved elsewhere before bringing
> CLI into California.

They are trying to get the issues resolved with the CPUC and the
courts and civil liberties organizations before they actually make the
offerings.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !