[comp.dcom.telecom] Prevalence of 10xxx Dialing

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (02/21/90)

In article <4008@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com>
writes:

>Is that everywhere *except* the backwaters of GTE Northwest, now?  Or
>are there still many places that don't have 10XXX dialing?

>We can do 950-xxxx and "select our default 1+ carrier", but 10XXX is
>only for the local Bell-co (US West, or whatever they changed their
>name to this week) customers.

As I understand it, only Bell (ex-AT&T) telcos plus GTE must offer
this service, and lots of local independent telcos don't.  Taconic
Telephone, for example, the first all-digital local telco in the
country, has no plans to offer any LD carrier except AT&T.

(I suppose that GTE comes under the terms of the MFJ because it owns
Sprint.  True or false?)

davidb@pacer.com (David Barts) (02/21/90)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> writes:

> 'course, this works only in those areas that have 10XXX (Feature Group D?)
> dialing.

> Is that everywhere *except* the backwaters of GTE Northwest, now?  Or
> are there still many places that don't have 10XXX dialing?

When I lived in Richland, WA two years ago, their exchange was GTE
and the 10xxx codes worked.  In fact, GTE being GTE, I *had* to use
10xxx for several months until I got 1+ service connected.

David Barts			Pacer Corporation
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (02/22/90)

In article <4141@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> writes:

>(I suppose that GTE comes under the terms of the MFJ because it owns
>Sprint.  True or false?)

GTE only owns a small part of US Sprint < 20% United Telephone owns
the rest.  If the MFJ applied to GTE it should also apply to United.

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (02/22/90)

In article <4141@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cowan@marob (John Cowan) writes:

| As I understand it, only Bell (ex-AT&T) telcos plus GTE must offer
| this service, and lots of local independent telcos don't.  Taconic
| Telephone, for example, the first all-digital local telco in the
| country, has no plans to offer any LD carrier except AT&T.

| (I suppose that GTE comes under the terms of the MFJ because it owns
| Sprint.  True or false?)

But that's what *I* asked about!  This *is* GTE, and they are *not*
providing 10XXX service in this area.  (I can get three-way calling,
cancel call waiting, and all sorts of other electronic features, but I
still have to call 950-xxxx to get to the alternate LD services.)

So, what percentage of the customers are never going to have the
choice for each phone call?

'course, what am I griping about... at least I get a dialtone most of
the time. :-)

Just another name in the phone book (many, many times!),

/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |
| merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn |
\=Cute Quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon, home of the California Raisins!"=/

dattier@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Tamkin) (02/23/90)

John Cowan wrote in TELECOM Digest, Volume 10, Issue 116:

| As I understand it, only Bell (ex-AT&T) telcos plus GTE must offer
| [10XXX], and lots of local independent telcos don't.  Taconic
| Telephone, for example, the first all-digital local telco in the
| country, has no plans to offer any LD carrier except AT&T.

Centel offers 10XXX, but the selection of carriers who will accept my
10XXX dialing is different from the selection offered to Illinois Bell
customers across the street.  (For one thing, I can use 10721 for
Centel Net and they can't; for another, there was a long stretch when
MCI would offer them Around Town calling but told me I wasn't
eligible, even though they advertised that it was available throughout
the city of Chicago: they reserved the right to define Chicago their
own way regardless of what the City Council said.)

| (I suppose that GTE comes under the terms of the MFJ because it owns
| Sprint.  True or false?)

But GTE no longer owns Sprint.  On July 1, 1986, GTE and United
Telecommunications merged their packet nets (GTE Telenet and Uninet)
into Telenet (soon to be renamed SprintNet) and their long-distance
carriers (Sprint and U S Tel) into U S Sprint.  About two years later
GTE pulled out of the partnership, leaving Telenet and U S Sprint
entirely in United Tel's hands.

And now that Central Telephone's corporate parent owns a long-distance
carrier, they continue renting and selling telephone equipment to
residential customers, so that hasn't put them under MFJ rules.

David W. Tamkin    dattier@point.UUCP   ...{ddsw1,obdient!vpnet}!point!dattier
BIX: dattier  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570 (708) 518-6769 (312) 693-0591
P. O. Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813   All other point users disagree.

kent@husc6.harvard.edu (Kent Borg) (02/24/90)

writes:

>'course, this works only in those areas that have 10XXX (Feature Group D?)
>dialing.

>Is that everywhere *except* the backwaters of GTE Northwest, now?  Or
>are there still many places that don't have 10XXX dialing?

>We can do 950-xxxx and "select our default 1+ carrier", but 10XXX is
>only for the local Bell-co (US West, or whatever they changed their
>name to this week) customers.

I know that when I was visiting my parents over Christmas I tried
10222 and didn't get far.  I asked the operator whether the line had
equal access and was told no.

I did get through with 950-1022.

This was 20 miles west of Minneapolis in Mound (where Tonka Toys used
to live), I think served by Continental.  Was always a step-by-step
when I was growing up, but that changed a few years ago, it sounds
electronic now.

Kent Borg                lloyd!kent@husc6.harvard.edu  or  ...!husc6!lloyd!kent
MacNet: kentborg                              H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617)426-3577
"So simple minded.  Kindergarten level with no content, but it's beautifully
landscaped, and the architecture is interesting."    -my mother on Epcot Center