[comp.dcom.telecom] Tone Block

tel@cdsdb1.att.com (Tom Lowe) (02/24/90)

> From: Daniel A Margolis <dam@mtqua.att.com>

> The ability to suspend Call Waiting is called *TONE-BLOCK* here in New
> Jersey Bell land, but here's the catch - you have to subscribe to it.
> You have to pay 50 cents extra per month to use it.

Not necessarily true...I have it and I don't pay 50 cents per month
for it.  It was never mentioned to me when I signed up and it not on
the list of features I subscribed to.  I suspect that if you don't
have three way calling and you want to disable call waiting on inbound
calls, you may have to pay the 50 cents to give you the ability to
flash hook to get secondary dial tone and dial your *70.  I have three way
calling, so I can do that already.

Does anyone out there in Bell Atlantic country pay for this fifty
cents/month Tone Block Feature?  If I remember, I'll give the business
office a call next week and ask them some questions.

Tom Lowe
AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel, NJ
tel@cdsdb1.ATT.COM
201-949-0428

[Moderator's Note: But for that fifty cents per month for the right to
interim dial tone, what prevents you from dialing whatever you want against
that dial tone, i.e. a complete number of another party?  I don't
think you are correct on this.   PT]

ahom@bellcore.bellcore.com (allen hom) (02/27/90)

In article <4348@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tel@cdsdb1.att.com (Tom Lowe) writes:

> > From: Daniel A Margolis <dam@mtqua.att.com>

> > The ability to suspend Call Waiting is called *TONE-BLOCK* here in New
> > Jersey Bell land, but here's the catch - you have to subscribe to it.
> > You have to pay 50 cents extra per month to use it.

> Not necessarily true...I have it and I don't pay 50 cents per month
> for it.

> Does anyone out there in Bell Atlantic country pay for this fifty
> cents/month Tone Block Feature?  If I remember, I'll give the business
> office a call next week and ask them some questions.

I have tone block (as well as other CLASS services).  When I had
signed up for the services, the "salesperson" did mention the $0.50
extra charge for this service, and I see that charge monthly on my
phone bill.  Well worth the service, especially when you dial into
work from home.

Allen Hom
Bellcore
ahom@rruxff.cc.bellcore.com