[comp.dcom.telecom] Dallas Area Code Split

TAXMAN@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Mike Wommack) (02/11/90)

I saw an item couple of weeks ago mentioing that Dallas was going to
have its own area code. Anyone have any details on this?

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: uunet!drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu!taxman
                 CCNet: DRYCAS::TAXMAN

[Moderator's Note: Area code 903 will be formed from part of the
existing Dallas area code 214 later this year. I don't know if Dallas
is going to stay in 214 while surrounding areas are moved to 903, or
the other way around. We had a brief discussion of this in the Digest
several months ago, but nothing recently. Do any readers have
up-to-date info on this?  PT]

Doug Davis <doug@letni.uucp> (02/12/90)

In article <3742@accuvax.nwu.edu> TAXMAN@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Mike Wommack)
writes:

>I saw an item couple of weeks ago mentioing that Dallas was going to
>have its own area code. Anyone have any details on this?

Depending on how you look at it, Dallas already has it's own area
code, it's all the suburbs that don't ;-)

Actually a farly large portion of North Texas is covered under the
current 214 area code. This includes several sizable towns Sherman,
Tyler, etc, that are geographicly a considerable distance from Dallas.
Also over the past few years the busniess population in Dallas has
swelled causing SWB (South Western Bell) to worry about a NXX
shortage.  Given SWB's description 903 Could be considered everything
east of Fort Worth, That isn't Dallas county. Matter of course except
where GTE is concerned everything outside of Dallas county will become
903.  Now the last I heard was that GTE and SWB were arguing about the
border location in Denton County (GTE Territory).

IMHHBO, GTE has a bunch of really archaic equipment in Denton that
they don't want to re-program.

I'll call some people in SWB today and see if I can get a list of the
boundery areas and pass them along to the Digest.

doug

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (02/28/90)

As I recall hearing earlier, Dallas and nearby suburbs are to stay in
214, with the rest of the present 214 area becoming 903.