[comp.dcom.telecom] Southern Bell Pushes CLID Too Far

ken@cup.portal.com (02/21/90)

I was sound asleep when the clock radio went off this morning, but in
the fog of waking up, I heard an interesting story re: Caller ID and
Southern Bell.

It seems that the North Carolina Attorney General is a little ticked
off at Southern Bell. Apparently, he came into possesion of a Southern
Bell memo, directing Southern Bell employees to write to the state
Public Utilities Commision to lobby in favor of Caller ID. This in
itself was not the largest problem, but rather that the employees were
instructed to hide their work affiliation and use a ficticious
occupation.

The example in the memo was an owner of a pizza parlor writing to say
how much Caller ID would help cut down on phony orders.

Interesting, no? I think this is the first time an RBOC has been so
blatent in trying to pressure the PUC.

Ken Jongsma
ken@cup.portal.com

lws@uunet.uu.net (Lyle Seaman) (03/01/90)

ken@cup.portal.com writes:

>It seems that the North Carolina Attorney General is a little ticked
>off at Southern Bell. Apparently, he came into possesion of a Southern
>Bell memo, directing Southern Bell employees to write to the state
>Public Utilities Commision to lobby in favor of Caller ID. This in

Anyone willing to bet that a Southern Bell employee sent him the memo?
I think if my employer pulled such a low stunt, I'd be mad enough to
lobby against.

Lyle
lws%comm.wang.com@uunet.uu.net