[comp.dcom.telecom] Does 976 Know Who You Are?

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (02/21/90)

I was defending CLI by pointing out that the big commercial services
(800 number providers, Amex, etc) already receive information on who
calls them, and that CLI would simply give us "little guys" the same
privileges as the big guys.

The question came up as to whether the Dial-a-Porn 976 providers
receive info on their callers.  Does anyone know?

Is it possible for a Dial-a-Porn provider to call up someone and say,
"Ahh, we see you made 6 calls to our kinky sex line last month; if you
don't make at least 6 calls this month we're going to tell your wife"?

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (02/24/90)

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:

> The question came up as to whether the Dial-a-Porn 976 providers
> receive info on their callers.  Does anyone know?

I don't know about other states, but 976 service is provided on
ordinary ground or loop start incoming-only trunks. There is no
Caller-ID available in California.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

hkhenson@uunet.uu.net (02/27/90)

John Higdon notes "There is no Caller-ID available in California."

I know that 911 calls read out the address of the calling location, is
this a different service?

This feature is a pain in the neck sometimes.  You report a domestic
violence case, and the cops beat on *your* door first, and then wonder
over to the disturbance, making it clear who called them.  After one
dose of this, I will wait till the blood is runing out the door before
I call them directly again.  I had a friend across town call in the
last one, but it certainly delayed things to have to do it that way.

Keith Henson

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/01/90)

ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!hkhenson@uunet.uu.net (Keith
Henson) writes:

> I know that 911 calls read out the address of the calling location, is
> this a different service?

This is ancient technology. In fact, word has it that Santa Clara
county's system runs in a PDP-11! (Telephonically speaking, we always
try to remain on the cutting edge of technology--there's some
disagreement about which edge :-)

Anyway, this system is simply sent the ANI data from each CO in the
area covered. This information is then fed to a lookup table and the
name and address of the customer appear on the screen of the
dispatcher.

> This feature is a pain in the neck sometimes.  You report a domestic
> violence case, and the cops beat on *your* door first, and then wonder
> over to the disturbance, making it clear who called them.

If, for any reason, you don't want your address and number to be
revealed, simply call the POTS emergency number listed in the front of
your phone book. If there isn't one listed, dial the "0" operator and
ask to be connected to the appropriate agency (assuming you have an
emergency).

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !