[comp.dcom.telecom] CPID/ANI Fictitious ID's Versus Digital Pseudonyms

gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore) (03/01/90)

jgro@apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg) wrote:

> When calls are
> placed from the subscribers phone, the fictitious id# is displayed
> instead of the real phone number.  Since this number is tied to a
> phone number, it serves the same identification purpose: A receipient
> who is familiar with the number knows what phone a call is coming
> from, if they are familiar with the number displayed.

The flaw in this scheme is that it assumes that called parties will
not cooperate to exchange information about you.  Since the fictitious
id is the same every time you make a call, anybody could look up your
fictitious ID in the TRW credit database and immediately get access to
your full address, credit history, and true phone number.  All it
takes for your fictitious ID to be entered in the TRW database is for
you to phone up Sears or Amex from your phone and during the course of
your conversation, identify yourself to them in some other way (e.g.
by name and address to ship something to).  Sears would have a two-way
agreement with TRW that they will provide info as well as looking up
info (that's how all the current credit reporting works).  The
anonymity you fought so hard for in the "great CPID debates" would be
gone a month after they installed the system.

To really provide privacy to the caller, a different random fictitious
ID could be provided to each callee.  This would permit each callee to
determine that they are being called from the same phone as previous
calls, but not let two callees correlate information about the caller.

Note the two parts of that: You could tell that someone in Joe's house
is calling since it always displays 1234567 when that house calls you.
(Of course, you have no idea if Joe is calling you or not -- it could
be the plumber or pizza delivery driver phoning from Joe's.  That
wouldn't stop businesses from assuming that such a person was
authorized to transact business for Joe, but that's off the topic.)

The second part is that various people who are called from Joe's house
would not be able to cross-correlate to determine that they are both
being called by Joe or his plumber.  Imagine the TRW database again.
Under the randomizing scheme, only a company to whom you had provided
other identification (such as your name, credit card number, etc)
would be able to look you up -- though they can pull up your info from
your CPID on subsequent calls.  But if you tell Sears this info, and
Sears tells TRW, Amex will still not be able to use it, since Amex
will not see your CPID as 1234567 the same way Sears does.

David Chaum wrote a paper on this which explains it better than I can.
He calls these randomized identifiers "digital pseudonyms" and the
intent is that you use a different one with everyone you do business
with.  He has built cryptosystems that implement this securely in
smart cards.  It's called "Security without Identification: Card
Computers to make Big Brother Obsolete".  Copies are available from
him at chaum@cwi.nl.  An earlier version of the paper was in CACM, Oct
1985.

I would much rather that the telcos started selling phones and pay
phones with a slot for a cryptographically secure smart card to
establish credentials (like identification or creditworthiness) or do
small data transfers.  But that would be a lot more work than forcing
CPID on the public.  So what if it would provide both real security
and real privacy?  Businesses and government would rather have your
life history in front of them, and most individuals don't care enough
to object or propose better things.