[comp.dcom.telecom] Perversions of Equal Access

nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov (Bill B40417 2-7390) (03/02/90)

In TELECOM Digest Volume 10 issue 134 Patrick Townson writes:

> [Moderator's Note:  It appears your local cable company has convinced
> your local telco they should be allowed to use an 'equal access' 10xxx
> code as though they were a telco.  Although it sounds like a clever
> idea, I can't help but object in principle to this mis-use of the numbering
> scheme.  I wonder if Bellcore or anyone else in authority is even aware
> of it, or gave permission for it.  PT]

I wish that cellular phone companies would use the equal access 10xxx
for "roaming" within LATA's.  It would seem a cleaner interface than
the current "roaming" number you have to prefix your calls with.

If you knew a person was in your LATA and what their cellular phone
number was, you could dial it by 10xxx-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx rather than
having to dial a 926-ROAM, wait for dialtone, then 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

A specific advantage of this would be telephone subscribers who don't
have DTMF service or capability.  Let the CO handle the digitization
of the pulse dialing and hand it off to the cellular customer.

Another advantage is that cellular companies could avoid having to
return call supervision until the cellular phone called answered.
Often the "roaming" numbers aren't local exchanges, even within a LATA
(causing a charge for an uncompleted call.)  Also, the cellular
companies could charge the airtime for a call to a roaming cellular
phone back to the call originator, rather than having to deal with
out-of-state billing.

If there are multiple cellular companies within a LATA, each could be
assigned a particular 10xxx, even if the different cellular companies
handled different geographical regions.

How bad are the technical/political problems with this scheme?  After
all, in some senses cellular companies *are* telephone companies.
Roaming cellular phones have unique numbers under the NANP, and
cellular companies provide service to telephones which have numbers
not assigned in the local LATA.

 .signature under construction
detour mail to nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov