[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Bug

john@jetson.upma.md.us (John Owens) (02/22/90)

[If you haven't already seen this, here's the bug in the CCS7 software.]

  From: kent@wsl.dec.com, via db@cs.purdue.edu, via RISKS
  Subject: AT&T Bug
  Date: Fri Jan 19 12:18:33 1990

This is the bug that cause the AT&T breakdown
the other day (no, it wasn't an MCI virus):

In the switching software (written in C), there was a long
"do . . . while" construct, which contained
   a "switch" statement, which contained
      an "if" clause, which contained a
         "break," which was intended for
      the "if" clause, but instead broke from
   the "switch" statement.

["break" never breaks an "if", only "switch"es, "do"s, and "while"s.]

ted@uunet.uu.net (Ted Schroeder) (03/02/90)

john@jetson.upma.md.us (John Owens) writes:

>[If you haven't already seen this, here's the bug in the CCS7 software.]

>This is the bug that cause the AT&T breakdown
>the other day (no, it wasn't an MCI virus):

>In the switching software (written in C), there was a long
>"do . . . while" construct, which contained
>   a "switch" statement, which contained
>      an "if" clause, which contained a
>         "break," which was intended for
>      the "if" clause, but instead broke from
>   the "switch" statement.

>["break" never breaks an "if", only "switch"es, "do"s, and "while"s.]

If this is the real bug did anyone else notice that lint would have
caught it?  I guess we know what AT&T thinks about "proving programs
correct" if they don't even lint their code, eh?

      Ted Schroeder                   ted@Ultra.com
      Ultra Network Technologies      ...!ames!ultra!ted
      101 Daggett Drive
      San Jose, CA 95134
      408-922-0100

Disclaimer:  I don't even believe what I say, why should my company?